Thread: Korea Republic - Belgium 0:1 (0:0)

Uploads

Korea Republic - Belgium 0:1 (0:0)

Date Venue / Stadium Time Attendance
    26 June 2014 Sao Paulo /Arena de Sao Paulo 17:00 61397
    Match Officials

FIFA General Coordinator
    TINOCO Rafael (GUA)
    Fifth Official
    AQUINO Rodney (PAR)
    Referee
    WILLIAMS Benjamin (AUS)
    Assistant Referee 1
    CREAM Matthew (AUS)
    Assistant Referee 2
    ANAZ Hakan (AUS)
    Fourth Official
    CARRILLO Victor (PER)
    Match Commissioner
    CERRILLA Fernando (MEX)

Total Goals scored

Jan VERTONGHEN (BEL) 78'

Korea Republic

Belgium
    S G KIM (GK)
    COURTOIS (GK)
    S Y YUN
    VERTONGHEN (C)
    Y G KIM
    FELLAINI
    H M SON (-73')
    MIRALLAS (-88')
    Y LEE
    MERTENS (-60')
    J C KOO (C)
    VAN BUYTEN
    K Y HAN (-46' HT)
    DEFOUR
    S Y KI
    LOMBAERTS
    C Y LEE
    DEMBELE
    S W KIM (-66')
    JANUZAJ (-60')
    J H HONG
    VANDEN BORRE
    Substitutes Substitutes
    S R JUNG (GK)
    MIGNOLET (GK)
    B Y LEE (GK)
    BOSSUT (GK)
    C S KIM
    ALDERWEIRELD
    T H KWAK
    WITSEL
    S H HWANG
    DE BRUYNE
    B K KIM (+66')
    LUKAKU
    D S HA
    E.HAZARD (+88')
    C Y PARK
    ORIGI (+60')
    K H LEE (+46' HT)
    CHADLI (+60')
    J W PARK
    CIMAN
    D W JI (+73')
    VERMAELEN
    J H PARK
    KOMPANY
    Coach Coach
    HONG Myungbo (KOR) WILMOTS Marc (BEL)

Cautions

HONG Jeongho (KOR) 35' , Moussa DEMBELE (BEL) 50'

Sent off

Steven DEFOUR (BEL) 45'

a.e.t.: After extra time (C): Captain PSO: Penalty Shoot-out
    GK: Goalkeeper N: Not eligible to play I: Injured
    Y: Misses next match if booked Pos: Positions A: Absent

Uploads

Koreans crash to ten-man Belgium

Korea Republic have exited the 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil™ after a 1-0 defeat to ten-man Begium in Sao Paulo. Jan Vertonghen scored the only goal of this Group H fixture as Marc Wilmots side maintained their 100 per cent record despite the first-half dismissal of Steven Defour. As his side were already assured of qualification, Wilmots opted to rest several of his established stars, with Eden Hazard, Kevin de Bruyne and Axel Witsel among those dropping to the bench. The result was a largely underwhelming performance, although Les Diables Rouges did create the better of the first-half's chances. The most glaring of all was spurned after 25 minutes by Dries Mertens, who had time, space and the goal at his mercy but - in one of the misses of the tournament thus far - somehow contrived to balloon wildly over from eight yards.

Mertens did fare better with his second effort of the half, a bouncing 25-yard volley, but Kim Seungyu was still able to get across comfortably and make a fairly routine save. Korea Republic had offered little in attack at this stage, but their prospects received a major boost a minute from half-time when Defour - making his first World Cup appearance - earned a straight red card for a two-footed stamp on Kim Shinwook. The Porto midfielder's dismissal prompted the Taeguk Warriors into an attacking half-time substitution, and the introduction of Lee Keunho certainly added some much-needed urgency to their attacking play. The first few minutes of the second period saw as many South Korean forward forays as the entire first half, with Thibaut Courtois called upon to made a smart early save and substitute Lee heading just over from inside the six-yard box.

The match as a whole improved, with Kim saving well at one end from Mertens just seconds before play raged to the other end, where a cross-cum-shot from Son Heungmin evaded Courtois and rebounded back off the crossbar. But while most of the attacking came from the Asians, Belgium remained dangerous on the break and it was no great surprise when they broke the deadlock with 12 minutes remaining. The only shock, perhaps, was the identity of the goalscorer, with defender and stand-in skipper Jan Vertonghen surging forward to slot home like a seasoned predator after Kim could only parry Divock Origi's initial effort. It was a goal that took the wind out of Korea Republic's sails, and left them to head for home with Russia, with Algeria joining group winners Belgium in the Round of 16.

Uploads

Korea Republic-Belgium: Quotes

Marc Wilmots, Belgium coach
    Yet again our patient approach paid off. I knew that the Koreans would leave us with a lot of space to play with. My young team had a tendency to push forwards too much at times, so I tried to get them to relax a little. It’s no easy task to finish the group stage with nine points. It’s a truly historic achievement for Belgium, and I’d like to congratulate the staff and all the players. We’re here to win, not to play beautiful football, and we’ve accomplished our mission.

Jan Vertonghen, Belgium defender and Budweiser Man of the Match
    After scoring, I wanted to share my indescribable joy with our supporters. We feel like they’re really behind us, and that’s important for the squad. Finishing top of the group and pulling off a late win with ten men is also a real source of satisfaction.

Hong Myungbo, Korea Republic coach
    My players gave everything they had. They made some mistakes, but also produced a lot of good things. We played pretty well overall, creating chances on the counter-attack. The nature of the match changed after Belgium had a man sent off. We probably held onto the ball for too long in midfield. I take responsibility for the result. I’ve done my best – my World Cup objective was to not have any regrets at the end. I’m going to take a little bit more time before deciding on my future.