GEKAS (+69')
    CALVO D.
    FETFATZIDIS
    UREÑA M.
    KATSOURANIS (+78')
    CUBERO J. (+66')
    TACHTSIDIS
    Coach Coach
    PINTO Jorge Luis (COL) SANTOS Fernando (POR)

Cautions

Andreas SAMARIS (GRE) 36' , Oscar DUARTE (CRC) 42' , Yeltsin TEJEDA (CRC) 48' , Oscar GRANADOS (CRC) 57' , Oscar DUARTE (CRC) 66' , Bryan RUIZ (CRC) 70' , Konstantinos MANOLAS (GRE) 72' , Keylor NAVAS (CRC) 90'

Sent off

Oscar DUARTE (CRC) 66'

Penalty Shoot-out

BORGES C. Goal
    MITROGLOU Goal
    RUIZ B. Goal
    LAZAROS Goal
    GONZALEZ G. Goal
    CHOLEVAS Goal
    CAMPBELL J. Goal
    GEKAS Saved
    UMAÑA M. Goal

a.e.t.: After extra time (C): Captain PSO: Penalty Shoot-out
    GK: Goalkeeper N: Not eligible to play I: Injured
    Y: Misses next match if booked Pos: Positions A: Absent

Uploads

Navas-inspired Ticos win shootout, reach quarters

Costa Rica made history in Recife by overcoming Greece on penalties to reach the FIFA World Cup™ quarter-finals for the first time. In doing so, they denied their opponents the opportunity to set a similar benchmark after 120 minutes ended with the score at 1-1. Outstanding goalkeeper Keylor Navas was the hero of the shootout as he saved a crucial spot-kick and allowed Michael Umana to book Los Ticos a date with the Netherlands.

The game began cautiously in north-east Brazil. The Greeks, surprise qualifiers from the group stage, did their all to slow the game down from the start. Perhaps fearful of Costa Rica’s lightning counter-attacks, the 2004 European champions rarely pressed forward in a cagey opening period. Local supporters in the Arena Pernambuco, site of Costa Rica’s famous win over Italy in the group stage, whistled the dour Greek tactics at every opportunity as they have come to appreciate Los Ticos in this part of the country. There were half-chances for both sides over the course of the first half, but neither Joel Campbell nor Georgios Samaras were able to make much of them.

The best chance of the period fell, almost predictably, to Greece on a sneaky break. A clever early cross from the left picked out Dimitrios Salpingidis at the far post, but the PAOK striker was denied by the sprawling Navas, who made a miraculous save from one of few shots on target.

Samaras had another header saved shortly after the break. The Greeks were beginning to look dangerous from set-pieces, but it was a false dawn as Costa Rica thrilled their adoptive fans with a goal of stunning quality. Christian Bolanos picked out captain and classy creator Bryan Ruiz unmarked on the edge of the box, and he side-footed into the bottom corner.

Things suddenly went dark for the Costa Ricans mid-way through the second-half. Defensive lynchpin Oscar Duarte was shown his second yellow card in the 66th minute for a rash challenge on Jose Cholevas and was promptly given his marching orders. Just when it seemed Los Ticos would survive playing a man down, Greece broke their hearts. Navas palmed away a shot from close-range with two minutes to go and Sokratis hammered home the rebound to spark wild celebrations in the Greek camp.

With an extra man and the extra options it brings, Greece were the dominant side in extra-time. But the spirited Costa Ricans gave everything to hang on for a shootout. All nine penalty takers scored before Theofanis Gekas stepped up and had his kick saved by Navas. Michael Umana then sealed the win for the Central Americans.

They now move on to meet the Netherlands on 5 July in Salvador after the Oranje dispatched Costa Rica’s CONCACAF rivals Mexico in dramatic circumstances earlier in the day.

Uploads

CRC-GRE: match quotes

Jorge Luis Pinto, Costa Rica coach
    This is a big, big result. Words can’t describe how I feel right now. It’s never easy playing with ten men, and even less so against opponents like that in a World Cup match. We looked secure throughout the game, and we were full of confidence in the shoot-out, and that goes for the goalkeeper, who was amazing, and the penalty takers, who were just perfect. I’ll say it again – we’re delighted and we’d like to dedicate this win to all the people of Costa Rica. We respect the Netherlands, just as we respect all our rivals, but the story goes on and we’re hungry for more.

Keylor Navas, Budweiser Man of the Match
    I’m happy and grateful to God for this feeling after another important win for us and the whole country. It was not an easy game at all, and while there were times when we had control, there were also periods when the opposition were on top. Obviously being a man down made a difference, but we never gave up. As for my save at the end, I can’t remember what was going through my mind. All I did was react and keep it out. You can practise penalties and study what the takers do, but I have to hand it to my team-mates, who were 100 percent on target. We’re making history and we want to have a place in people’s hearts forever.

Fernando Santos, Greece coach
    I don’t like talking about good luck or bad luck. Someone has to be lucky and tonight it was them, and I congratulate them for that. I think Costa Rica were the better side in the opening 15 minutes, but then we came back into it. We had to go and take more risks after the goal, but they defended well and tried to hit us on the counter. In the end, though, we managed to take the game into extra time, when we put pressure on them but weren’t sharp enough, which is perfectly understandable when you’re tired and tense. Navas was brilliant. Without him, the outcome would have been different.