ALVAREZ
    HUNTELAAR (+96')
    AGUERO (+82')
    MEMPHIS
    BASANTA
    FER
    DI MARIA
    Coach Coach
    VAN GAAL Louis (NED) SABELLA Alejandro (ARG)

Cautions

Bruno MARTINS INDI (NED) 45' , Martin DEMICHELIS (ARG) 49' , Klaas Jan HUNTELAAR (NED) 105'

Penalty Shoot-out

VLAAR

Saved
    MESSI

Goal
    ROBBEN

Goal
    GARAY

Goal
    SNEIJDER

Saved
    AGUERO

Goal
    KUYT

Goal
    M. RODRIGUEZ

Goal

a.e.t.: After extra time (C): Captain PSO: Penalty Shoot-out
    GK: Goalkeeper N: Not eligible to play I: Injured
    Y: Misses next match if booked Pos: Positions A: Absent

Uploads

Romero the shoot-out hero as Argentina reach Final

Sergio Romero inspired Argentina to a 4-2 victory over the Netherlands on penalties and FIFA World Cup™ Final place for the first time in 24 years. After 120 goalless minutes in Sao Paulo, the 27-year-old repelled Ron Vlaar’s spot-kick before making a stunning save from Wesley Sneijder to send La Albiceleste into a showdown with Germany at the Maracana.

The first half was a tense, chance-shy affair. Lionel Messi had Argentina’s best opportunity, with a centrally-positioned free-kick from the edge of the box, but he curled it straight into the arms of Jasper Cillessen. Ezequiel Gonzalez bravely ducked his head between flying boots from a corner, but the 27-year-old centre-back was unable to keep his effort down, while the sliding Ron Vlaar did well to intercept a low Ezequiel Lavezzi cross before Gonzalo Higuain could pounce.
    The Netherlands, for their part, struggled to get the ball to danger man Arjen Robben and failed to force Sergio Romero into a save before the half-time whistle sounded.

If the first half was tame, the second was even tamer. Argentina finally sprung to life on 75 minutes, however, when Messi spun his man down the right touchline but was felled. The referee played the advantage, allowing Enzo Perez to surge forward and cross for Higuain, whose first-time stab hit the side-netting. After the contest crawled into added time, the Netherlands conjured up what was its best chance. Sneijder’s crafty flick sent Robben racing into the Argentinian area. The 30-year-old nevertheless took too many touches, which enabled Javier Mascherano to make a superb sliding block from his strike from point-blank range.

Shortly into extra-time, Klaas-Jan Huntelaaar replaced Van Persie. It was Louis van Gaal’s third substitution, eliminating the possibility of quarter-final saviour Tim Krul coming on should the game go to penalties and signalling the Oranje coach’s desire to go for it. That his charges did. Robben sped in behind the Albiceleste defence, only for Mascherano to divert his cut-back behind, before the Bayern Munich player tested Romero’s hands with a fizzing 25-yard piledriver.

After 115 minutes, Argentina had their finest opening of the match. A long ball over the top bounced into the path of substitute Rodrigo Palacio, but he failed to generate sufficient power on his header to trouble Cillessen. Both goalkeepers had had little to do in normal and extra time, but Romero did plenty thereafter to send the masses of Argentinians in Sao Paulo delirious.

Uploads

Netherlands-Argentina: Quotes

Alejandro Sabella, Argentina coach
    I’m very happy for several reasons: for the players, for the staff, the people of Argentina, my family, the Argentina FA and for all those who have brought me to this moment. We’ve made it to the Final and this is a historic moment. It was a tough and even match, probably deserving to be a draw, but I thought we had better chances over the 120 minutes. We won the penalties, if they’d won the penalties, I’d say the same. I’m delighted with the professionalism of the players, they’ve given us a great platform for the Final. We never gave up on winning tonight and my players gave everything – every last drop of sweat. Although we have one day less to recover and we’ve played 30 more minutes tonight, we’ll approach the game with hard-work and humility. But we believe that we can win.

Sergio Romero, Argentina goalkeeper and Budweiser Man of the Match
    I have to pay tribute to both Alejandro Sabella and Louis van Gaal for everything they've done in my career - and I've thanked them both after the game.We are celebrating along with our people and I am so happy. I dedicate this victory to my family. The Final is a one-off game and anything could happen, as luck is also an important element. Playing Germany will be difficult, but our objective since the first day of training has been to reach the Final. Tonight we celebrate, from tomorrow we’ll think about Germany and the Final.

Louis van Gaal, Netherlands coach
    It’s the most terrible scenario to lose on penalties. It’s simply a matter of luck and we did not lose today. In a tournament scenario, you need to score more than one goal than the opposition during the game – and we didn’t do that. But not only that, we didn’t create many chances in this match, far less than any other game here. However, Argentina didn’t create much either. Players like Robben, Sneijder and Van Persie found opportunities difficult to come by and so did Messi, Aguero and Lavezzi, so that says something about the tactical battle we saw. We’ve played a fantastic tournament. No-one expected us to make it out of the group stage, but we won it, we defeated Mexico and Costa Rica – and at the very least we were equal to Argentina, if not better.