Drama top genre for Ramadan TV on MENA pay-TV channels

Rebecca Hawkes
| 05 August 2014

Drama was once again the main focus of Ramadan content aired by the Arab world's satellite pay-TV providers, with 41 new dramas comprising 37.5% of the series aired during the Muslim holy month in 2014.

Researchers at the Arab Advisors Group analysed the Arabic series broadcast across the pay channels

Masah, MBC HD, MBC+2 HD, MBC Drama HD, Hikayat, Hikayat 2, MBC+ Drama, OSN Yahala +2 HD, OSN Yahala HD, OSN Yahala Shabab, OSN Yahala Drama, Series +4, Series Channel, Al Safwa, Al Yawm, MTV Lebanon HD, Al Nahar HD and Al Nahar Drama HD.

"Hikayat and Hikayat 2, which broadcast on OSN, had the highest number of aired Arabic series among the analysed 18 satellite pay-TV channels," said Hiba Rabadi, senior research analyst, Arab Advisors Group.

"The production of the analysed 48 Arabic series involved 51 production houses. 29.2% of the analysed 48 series where co-produced by more than one production house, while the remaining 70.8% were produced by one production house," she added.

Out of the 18 satellite pay-TV channels covered in the new report, three channels did not air any drama Arabic series during Ramadan 2014.