Emma Scott stands down as Freesat MD
| 26 September 2014
In a shock move and after seven years establishing the free to air satellite service in the UK, Emma Scott has decided to stand down from her post as managing director of Freesat.

Under Scott's tenure, the free satellite service has grown to be present in nearly two million UK home. She will leave her post at the end of the year and be replaced by current Freesat finance director and company secretary Alistair Thom.

Explaining why she has made her surprise decision, Scott said that creating a successful new TV platform had been an exhilarating journey but that it was time for her to seek new challenges in the digital media industries. She said: "Freesat has built this service, now used in almost 2 million homes, by embracing new ways of curating content and by harnessing technology that looks to the future. I am particularly proud of Showcase, the only editorially driven recommendations service on a UK TV platform, and of the Freetime connected TV service. Above all, I would like to thank the amazing team at Freesat, and Freesat's shareholders the BBC and ITV, for the strong support they have given me, without which it would have been impossible to achieve so much in this exciting and highly competitive market."