AOL appoints Viacon alum as video chief
Michelle Clancy
| 08 October 2014
AOL has named Dermot McCormack as president of video and studios. He succeeds Ran Harnevo, who has left to pursue other opportunities, but who will remain as executive producer of AOL's first long-form original series, Connected.

McCormack will lead AOL On, a curated experience of 14 channels actively programmed with relevant video content, and BE On, a global branded content and entertainment platform. In addition, he will lead AOL Studios, overseeing the creation and distribution of high quality original programming.

McCormack joins AOL after almost six years at Viacom, where he most recently ran Viacom Music & Logo's Connected Content Group. In this position, McCormack led all non-linear brand properties initiatives for MTV, VH1, CMT and Logo. He realigned his team to focus on strategic storytelling, organic traffic growth, innovative products, social media integrations and tactical partnerships.

AOL has launched nearly 50 original series since 2011, and its library of curated and original video content is now distributed on 15 connected devices, including Apple TV.

"I have watched the evolution of AOL's video strategy closely and have seen it develop into a thriving business poised to break out. I am delighted to be joining AOL now to make sure it does just that," said McCormack. "We are early days in our journey, but the opportunity is huge and my goal is to make sure that we put in place a strategy and operating process that ensures AOL takes more than its fair share of that opportunity."

Prior to joining Viacom in 2008, McCormack was the senior vice president of interactive product Management at Cablevision where he led the creation of a new digital revenue growth department, and drove the growth of Cablevision's interactive advertising and commerce businesses. Before his tenure at Cablevision, he was co-founder and CTO of, the online gift currency. Prior to that, McCormack was one of the early executives at