Ralph Dommermuth, CEO of German telecommunications company United Internet, wants to further expand its broadband network in Germany following the recent takeover of Versatel.

“There will be further chances to acquire smaller operators,” the founder and major shareholder of United Internet told German business magazine Manager Magazin. He didn’t disclose any names, though.

This summer, United Internet bought 75% of broadband network operator Versatel for a total of almost €1 billion. The company already owned the remaining 25%.

The takeover of Versatel marked a strategy change for United Internet. The company which owns brands like 1&1 and Web.de so far offered its telephony and internet services through the networks of competitors like Deutsche Telekom.

With Versatel’s broadband network spanning across 37,000 kilometres, United Internet now claims to own Germany’s second-largest broadband network.