Skylink has taken the strategic decision to make all popular channels in the Czech Republic available in HD before the end of 2016, according to Jaromir Glisnik, member of the board of directors, M7 Group.

Speaking at the Prague Business Breakfast, he added that the biggest challenge faced by the platform, which has 1.3 million subscribers in the country, is the free distribution of content via DTT.

Indeed, 89% of viewing in the Czech Republic as a whole is FTA, with pay-TV claiming the remaining 11%.

With pay-TV penetration standing at less than 40% – much less than comparable CEE markets such as Hungary – the market is deadlocked.

Glisnik also said that HD is becoming the broadcasting standard and Skylink is the leading platform for HD services in the Czech Republic.