Amazon to debut Mozart in the Jungle
Michelle Clancy
| 21 November 2014
Amazon will premiere all ten episodes of its original dramatic comedy series Mozart in the Jungle via Prime Instant Video, in the US, the UK and Germany.

Based on the critically acclaimed memoir Mozart in the Jungle: Sex, Drugs & Classical Music, by Blair Tindall, Mozart in the Jungle is seen through the eyes of a young oboist, Hailey, who tries to navigate through the egos and eccentricities of a world renowned orchestra, and new conductor Rodrigo, an enfant terrible whose passion for music threatens the plans of the orchestra's old guard. That old guard is represented by Thomas (Roddy McDowell), the reluctantly outgoing conductor, and Gloria (Bernadette Peters), the chairwoman of the board, who wonder what they have wrought by bringing Rodrigo into the fold.

"Our customers will be immersed in a provocative and compelling world," said Roy Price, vice president of Amazon Studios. "Jason, Roman, Paul and John have brilliantly tapped into this microcosm brought to life by an unparalleled ensemble cast."

Roman Coppola, who directed one of the episodes, commented: "Classical music has always interested me. By being part of this show I've been able to immerse myself in this fascinating world. I think the viewer will be equally as surprised and intrigued as I was with what goes on behind the curtain at the symphony."

The premiere is set for on Tuesday 23 December.