CES 2015: ViXS teams with Harmonic on HEVC

DetailsMichelle Clancy | 06 January 2015

ViXS Systems has teamed up with Harmonic to demonstrate a hybrid AVC/HEVC, MPEG-DASH technology — fittingly called HybridDASH — as well as an HEVC-based 1080i encoding offering.

As service and OTT providers plan for 4K Ultra HD HEVC broadcasts, reasonable capital costs are critical for the success of their deployment. HybridDASH technology allows service operators to broadcast a single multi-profile stream to existing STBs and mobile devices; while simultaneously enabling 4K Ultra HD HEVC-capable devices to select the profiles.

Also, though mainly viewed as an enabler of 4K Ultra HD, the HEVC codec promises significant bandwidth savings on all formats including HD content. As service operators transition to HEVC, there will be cost pressures to re-use existing 1080i content and delivery methods — and it's here that the companies' HEVC 1080i solution is targeted.

The Harmonic and ViXS HEVC 1080i and hybrid MPEG-DASH end-to-end technology demonstrations are comprised of Harmonic's WFS file-based workflow engine and ProMedia Xpress high performance transcoder with the ViXS XCode 6400 STB solution.

"Working with a broadcast market leader such as Harmonic is key in deploying the latest HEVC broadcast technologies to service and OTT providers," said Sally Daub, president and CEO at ViXS Systems. "The XCode 6400 SoC has proven once again its flexibility and power to support the rapidly changing broadcast market demands, showcasing its strengths of future proofing solutions."