Egyptian court frees Al Jazeera journalists on bail

DetailsRebecca Hawkes | 13 February 2015

An Egyptian court has granted bail to the jailed Al Jazeera journalists Baher Mohamed and Mohamed Fahmy, who are being re-tried on charges of aiding the banned Muslim Brotherhood.

"Bail is a small step in the right direction, and allows Baher and Mohamed to spend time with their families after 411 days apart," an Al Jazeera spokesman said on Thursday.

"The focus though is still on the court reaching the correct verdict at the next hearing by dismissing this absurd case and releasing both these fine journalists unconditionally."

A third Al Jazeera journalist, Peter Greste, who was also to be r-tried, was deported to his native Australia on 1 February after spending 400 days in prison.

"I'm overjoyed that my colleagues and "brothers-in-bars" are at last able to go home to their families. The decision from the court in today's hearing is a small but significant step that not only allows them to enjoy being at home as I have over the past week; it shows that they are not considered as terrorists," said Peter Greste.

"The judges would not have let them walk out of prison if they felt the pair posed a threat to public security," he added.
Fahmy, Mohamed and Greste were imprisoned in June 2014, but their convictions for spreading false news to help a terrorist group were overturned on appeal in January pending a retrial.

The next hearing in their re-trial is set for 23 February.