The Spanish regulator CNMC has asked the broadcasters Atresmedia and Mediaset to take “appropriate measures” over product placement.

In a statement, it says this follows irregularities detected in several programmes shown on Antena 3, Telecinco and Cuatro. It adds that failure to comply could result in the initiation of disciplinary proceedings.

The CNMC says it also analysing the communications shown programmes shown by Atresmedia and Mediaset on New Years Eve 2014.

Separately, the regulator has announced the results of an audit into the funding of European films and series in 2012.

It shows that 15 companies exceeded the minimum level of funding required while four failed to do so.

Obligated companies allocated a total of €183.5 million towards the financing of European audiovisual works, or 15% more than the legally required minimum.

The General Law on Audiovisual Communication requires commercial broadcasters to allocate 5% of their income from the previous year, and public broadcasters 6%, towards European audiovisual works.

Of this, 60% should be spent on films and the remaining 40% on TV series and miniseries.

In the case of publicly owned RTVE, the contribution to films should be 75%.