Spain’s Telefónica is prepared to offer rivals the premium content of DTS (Canal+) at competitive prices as a concession to the regulator CNMC in its attempt to buy the pay-TV operator.

Quoting a source familiar with matter, Reuters and El Economista say that the next two weeks will be crucial to see if the sale is given the final go-ahead.

They add that the CNMC began an investigation into the acquisition of DTS by Telefónica on the grounds that it could affect competition in the sector.

Telefónica already owns 44% of Digital+ and agreed last May to acquire the remaining 56% from the media group Prisa for €750 million.

Although at that time the incumbent owned only 22% of Digital+, it subsequently doubled its stake by agreeing to buy Mediaset’s 22% for an initial €295 million.

Last November, the EC warned of significant competition issues should Telefónica’s acquisition of Canal+ in Spain go ahead.

Although the deal falls under European jurisdiction, the final decision will be made by the CNMC.