Altia bows 4K home video camera

DetailsMichelle Clancy | 05 May 2015

Altia Systems has launched the PanaCast 2 video camera, a panoramic-4K plug-and-play USB video camera.

The camera has a 180 wide, 54 tall field of view, plugs into a computer's USB port and works with popular Web collaboration apps like Skype and WebEx. PanaCast 2 has a resolution of 3840 x 1080 pixels.

"PanaCast 2 can help transform how people see and connect electronically, by providing a natural human perspective that enhances popular collaboration services with industry-leading resolution, clarity and speed, in a small, personal, go-anywhere, plug-and-play device," said Aurangzeb Khan, president and CEO of Altia Systems. "And with the optional PanaCast Experience service, we give each participant personal control over how they engage and participate, extending the natural human experience to electronic meetings and gatherings."

"I participated in a Zoom conference call using the new PanaCast 2 camera," said Ira M Weinstein, senior analyst and partner at Wainhouse Research. "The panoramic view allowed me to see all five remote participants at the same time, and the 4k resolution provided great visual detail allowing me to feel 'connected' to everyone in the meeting."

Jay Kirkland, vice president and general manager of the Reference Systems and Technologies Group within Intel's Client Computing Group, noted that Intel is engaged in an engineering pilot with Altia Systems' first-generation PanaCast Cameras. "The new PanaCast 2 camera, combined with Intel Core processor-based PCs, brings visual collaboration experience to a new level of clarity for users," he said.