BBC director of television Danny Cohen to leave

| 14 October 2015

After eight years in which he seemed to collect as many brickbats as bouquets, Danny Cohen has announced his departure as BBC director of television.

As director of BBC TV, Cohen was responsible for all of the BBC's television networks and productions. His leadership of BBC TV, Europe's largest television production group, has encompassed BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three and BBC Four, alongside the production and commissioning of all of the BBC's drama, entertainment, comedy and factual programmes. The role also included creative leadership of the BBC iPlayer and the BBC's cinema production through BBC Films.

Cohen said that he would leave the BBC at the end of November 2015 after being approached about what he called 'a number of exciting opportunities' which he wanted to consider in an 'open and transparent' way.

"It is time for my next big challenge," Cohen explained. "BBC Television is on brilliant creative form. I feel very privileged to have led television for the world's finest public service broadcaster and to have worked with so many smart and talented people ... I'm very proud of the wide-ranging success of BBC Television under my leadership. In this period of intense competition we've reached 92% of UK audiences every week, delivered outstanding channel services and built the No 1 digital service across the television industry in the BBC iPlayer ... There has never been a more exciting time for television and digital media. I'm looking forward to taking up a new leadership role in this age of intense creative and technological innovation."

Tony Hall, BBC Director General, added: "Danny has done an extraordinary job over the last eight years at the BBC. In a world of intense competition and choice, he has further enhanced the BBC's reputation for quality programming that is full of ambition and creativity ... He is one of TV's great talents. I know everyone who has worked with Danny has huge admiration for what he has delivered for the BBC. I want to wish him well for the future."

Mark Linsey, current controller of entertainment commissioning, will take on his responsibilities until an appointment is made.