Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Latest Sport News (19-02-08):

Uploads

Latest Sport News (19-02-08):

Robson leaves Blades

Bryan Robson has left Sheffield United after turning down the opportunity to become a director of football, with Kevin Blackwell named as his successor.

Blackwell has been drafted in as Robson's replacement until the end of the season.

The former Leeds and Luton manager is already well acquainted with the club having been assistant manager there during Neil Warnock's stint as boss.

"I had hoped Bryan would take up a new role at the club but that was not to be," said Sheffield United chairman Kevin McCabe.

"Kevin and Sam (Ellis) are in until the end of the season, when we will take stock.

"They know the situation and how we are determined to take this club forward.

"That will include the pursuit of a football supremo to oversee a new structure."

Robson had come under intense pressure of late over the club's faltering campaign, with some sections of the Bramall Lane faithful having vociferously called for his head.

Earlier on Thursday reports suggested Robson was to be 'moved upstairs' following a meeting with United's plc chairman McCabe and club supremo Terry Robinson in Brussels on Wednesday.

However, Robson has rejected the opportunity to take a director of football role and instead, parted company altogether.

United have endured a poor Championship campaign thus far and currently sit a disappointing 16th and are well off the promotion pace.

50-year-old Robson took charge of The Blades in the summer, less than two-weeks after they were relegated from the Premier League under Neil Warnock.

Brian Kidd has also left the club, while Sam Ellis will assist Blackwell.

Uploads

Re: Latest Sport News (15-02-08):

Becks calls for consultation

David Beckham insists the Premier League must consult supporters and players before moving forward with plans to play matches overseas.

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has proposed to extend the season to 39 games from 2010/11 by introducing an 'international round' of fixtures.

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has vowed to block the proposal, which would see each top flight club play one additional overseas fixture, and Beckham is now calling for caution.

The 20 Premier League clubs have voted in favour of the plans, but former Manchester United midfielder Beckham, who is now at Los Angeles Galaxy, has called for consultation with players and fans.

Opinion

"They have got to be careful because there are so many games, so much football, in the Premier League already," said Beckham.

"It has got to be looked at long and hard, and many people have to be asked for their opinions, like the players and fans.

"It would be nice for the fans to be asked what their ideas and thoughts are because they are the people that make that league and they are the ones it is going to affect.

"Ask the fans, ask the players and go from there."

Uploads

Re: Latest Sport News (16-02-08):

Ferguson unhappy at gap

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has spoken of his disappointment at slipping five points behind Premier League leaders Arsenal.

United's shock loss to rivals Manchester City last weekend saw The Gunners extend their lead at the summit of the table with victory over Blackburn Rovers.

With 12 games of the current campaign still remaining, Ferguson is convinced that there is still time to overhaul Arsene Wenger's side and retain their championship crown.

But he has admitted that Arsenal's growing improvement is a concern, while conceding that events have not gone to plan up until this stage of the season.

Leading

"I am not happy we are five points behind them," Ferguson said.

"You want to be leading at this stage of the campaign.

"However, I have to say Arsenal are looking more compact and more solid than they were last season."

Ferguson also hinted that he may rotate his starting XI for Saturday's FA Cup fifth round tie against Wenger's men.

"You cannot (keep the same side) in every game. That is why clubs have squads of 22 players," he continued.

"You cannot go back to the days when Liverpool won the league with only 14 players to call on."

Fractious

Ferguson went on to express his belief that the clashes between his side and Arsenal lack the aggressive and fiery edge they used to demonstrate.

"We both have different teams today and as a result it is now less fractious," he concluded.

Uploads

Blatter wants national identity

Fifa president Sepp Blatter has reiterated his determination to implement the 'six plus five' rule in the Premier League.

Blatter is keen to limit the number of foreign players in England's top flight, forcing sides to start every match with at least six England-qualified players.

He believes the system would help break up the dominance of the 'big four', and is sure that it would do much to enhance the quality of international football.

"In England, you have just four teams, maybe five, who are there fighting for the title and qualification for European competitions," he said in the Daily Mirror.

Not enough

"All the other clubs are simply playing not to get relegated. They are just sparring partners. That's not enough.

"It is not only England. The situation is the same in France, Spain and Germany. A young player entering a big club has no more motivation that they can move through the ranks to play in the first team, because the manager will just go and buy players on the free market.

"The clubs do not try to educate players.

"You have to remember the origins of the game was local, the team was from a local area.

"Then it became regional. But now we have to maintain it so that it is national, so that the clubs do not become an international ensemble like artists in a show.

"No. Keep the national identity. If you do keep that national identity, you have other advantages.

"The first advantage is that the population where the club is playing can identify with that club. This idea will balance the leagues and enhance the quality of the national team.

Pressure

"Go to any country and ask the population if they like their national team. They do like the national team, like the anthem, the national colours and the flag and to be together."

Blatter, who recently vowed to block the Premier League's proposal for a round of 'international fixtures', plans to secure the agreement of Fifa's 208 member associations in Sydney in May.

And after warning the Football Association it risks losing the bid for the 2018 World Cup if the Premier League went ahead with the global proposal, English football's governing body could be under pressure to vote in favour of Blatter's 'six plus five' rule.

In order for a cap to be legal, Fifa will need the European Union to agree to make sport an exception to its employment laws, which guarantee freedom of movement for its citizens.

Uploads

Gallas slams 'arrogant' United

Arsenal captain William Gallas has launched a scathing attack on Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United, labelling them 'too arrogant'.

The France international believes United's overconfidence may cost them dear come the end of the season.

And Gallas is sure that The Gunners, who currently hold a five-point advantage over The Red Devils at the summit of the Premier League table, can take advantage of their complacency and be crowned champions this season.

"They are a strong team with lots of experienced players. But, sometimes, they think they're too good. Too arrogant, yes," he told GQ magazine.

Ronaldo

"It can make you complacent. We understand that problem. We know we have to score goals, be strong in defence and kill teams in the first half.

"Our squad can win things. And I know that it will be difficult for Manchester United to win."

Gallas' comments are sure to add further ferocity to what promises to be a competitive FA Cup fifth round tie at Old Trafford on Saturday.

The 30-year-old defender went on to shrug off plaudits directed towards United winger Cristiano Ronaldo, insisting that he is not that tough to play against.

"It was not easy against him but it was not that difficult either," he concluded.

Uploads

Big Sam blasts chairmen

Sam Allardyce has issued a withered riposte in the direction of football chairmen, accusing them of being unable to cope with the pressure put on them by volatile fans.

Bryan Robson claimed this week that Sheffield United supporters made his position at Bramall Lane untenable, and Allardyce too has bitter experiences of the power fans hold in football.

The Newcastle faithful never took to Allardyce and it was no surprise when he was shown the St James' Park exit door, despite the fact he was only appointed in the summer.

Allardyce insists his comments are directed at chairmen and owners in general and not solely at Newcastle supremo Mike Ashley.

"Huge businessmen, multi-millionaires in their own right, very clever men, but never been shouted at," he told Talksport.

"They can't stand the pressure, their knees buckle, they don't stand strong and they use the easy option to take the pressure off themselves.

"They have to be the strongest ones and often they're the weakest ones.

"They might like the limelight when the success comes but they certainly can't put up with the other side of it, which is really quite volatile now."

Premier ambition

Allardyce is enjoying his break from the game but admits the football-bug is one that will in all likelihood never leave him.

And he already craves another crack at a top-flight job.

"It's addiction. That's the trouble," he said.

"Sixteen years, yes I need a break. But when Saturday comes round, or Friday or Thursday, I'm still lying in bed agitated, still trying to make the decisions I should be making.

"The only decisions I'm making at the moment is whether I have tea, coffee, toast or cornflakes in the morning.

"I hopefully will get another job in the Premier League, with a bit of good fortune. That is sad because somebody else has to come out of a job for me to be considered.

"I know I can be successful because I've done that in the past."

Uploads

FA confirm reservations

The Football Association admits that they have 'serious reservations' concerning the proposals to play Premier League matches abroad.

Premier League clubs are thought to have unanimously agreed to examine the possibility of playing an extra fixture across the world from the 2010/11 season.

The concept has been met by widespread criticism, with Fifa president Sepp Blatter expressing his opposition to the idea on Thursday and warning that if implemented the decision could affect England's chances of winning the right to host the 2018 World Cup.

Now the governing body for football in this country have voiced their concerns over the plans, making it clear to Fifa that they are in no way in support of any move to take domestic games overseas.

Debate

A statement released by the FA said: "The Football Association has listened carefully to the comments made by Fifa president Sepp Blatter regarding the Premier League's proposal for an international round of fixtures.

"This proposal has generated a high level of debate both domestically and with the international football family.

"While the Football Association has given full consideration to views expressed by all parties, we must make our own position on this subject clear.

Implications

"We can confirm that the Football Association did speak to Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke about this matter yesterday.

"We explained that while we had received a verbal summary on the subject, at this time we are not in possession of any detailed proposals from the Premier League to pass on to Fifa.

"It was also made clear to Fifa that the Football Association has some serious reservations about the proposal.

"We have the responsibility to the whole of English football and we have to consider any wider consequences and implications that this proposal may create."

Uploads

Re: Latest Sport News (17-02-08):

Wenger denies Barca talk

Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has rejected talk linking him with a move to Barcelona.

Reports emanating from Spain earlier this week suggested Barca were lining up a move for Wenger in the summer.

Barca are considering replacing Frank Rijkaard at Camp Nou and are believed to have made Wenger their number one target to succeed the Dutchman.

Wenger has shrugged off the latest rumours and says he is happy at Arsenal.
    Happy

"It's not the first time [there has been talk of Barcelona's interest]," Wenger told the Observer. "I'm happy where I am.
    "I have no intention of moving and I want to carry on at Arsenal."

Meanwhile, Gunners boss Wenger believes a European Super League in the future is inevitable.

Despite the news of breakdown of the G14 group of clubs on Friday, Wenger is adamant that a new competition run by Uefa will come to fruition in the future.

Super League

"The end of the G14 is the death knell for the idea of a European Super League run by the clubs, but Uefa may still decide to do it," said Wenger
    "The clubs have agreed never to run any competition that is not under the auspices of Uefa or Fifa, but I believe a European Super League will happen under Uefa."

Uploads

FAI chief hits back at Keane

Football Association of Ireland chief executive John Delaney has launched a stinging attack on Roy Keane.
    Keane has often been critical of the FAI and their methods, and in particular recently slated the Association for doing 'everything backwards'.
    Delaney feels that in attracting Giovanni Trapattoni as Republic manager this week, Sunderland boss Keane can have no grounds to now point an accusing finger.
    And Delaney has decided to snap back at Keane in a rare bout of public anger.
    Criticism

"The only criticism I'd have of Sunderland would be their manager giving his weekly report about Irish football, cork hurling and all that he does,"Delaney told the Irish Sunday Mirror. "We don't comment on the players he's bought or where they are in the league.
    "So I think he should get on with managing Sunderland and stop commenting on a regular basis about the FAI.
    "He looks very good on deflecting from his own issues. I think what he should do is concentrate on what he has to do.
    "If anything we have been supportive of what they (Sunderland) are doing with the Irish connection in that regard. From my point of view he should get on with his job.
    Inaccuracies

"The inaccuracies that come out from him are what bothers me, like last week he said we cut corners. "But Liam Miller was injured (in the friendly defeat) against Brazil, and he should remember that only two or three countries insure their players, and we're one of them.
    "So we do our business properly in that regard. It's the constant looking to the past and not understanding what we're about today.
    "That's one simple example of where he gets it wrong."

Uploads

Terry ready to play his part

Chelsea skipper John Terry is determined to make up for his injury nightmare by leading Chelsea to success this season.

Terry made his long-awaited return to action in Saturday's FA Cup win over Huddersfield after two months out with a foot injury.

The England international has spoken of his frustration at missing such a large chunk of the season and wants to ease his pain by helping Chelsea on all four fronts as the battle for silverware gets more intense.
    Frustration

"I can't stand being injured, it drives me completely crazy. I just want to play," Terry told the Sunday Mirror.

"I'm not one for moping around, but watching the lads play and being powerless to do anything about it is worse than anything.

"You miss the day-to-day involvement with the team. Patience isn't one of my best qualities.

"Now it's about getting back out there and making sure we push on and win things."
    Dream

Terry admits he dreams of winning the UEFA Champions League as it is the one club trophy to elude him so far in his career.
    "I don't want to look back when my playing career has ended and a Champions League medal isn't in my collection," added Terry.

"The competition has brought me a lot of heartache. I've seen players like Steven Gerrard lift the trophy for Liverpool and I'm envious of that.

"While winning the league title always takes priority, you always want the one thing you don't have."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast