New Coventry manager Chris Coleman has set his sights on guiding the Sky Blues back into the Premier League.

Coleman was confirmed as the Midlands outfit's seventh manager in the past six years after signing a three-and-a-half-year deal at the Ricoh Arena.

The former Fulham and Real Sociedad boss accepts that his first task is to guide the club away from relegation danger, but believes the long-term future for the club is bright.

The ex-Wales international, brought in to replace the sacked Iain Dowie, was persuaded to make a swift return to management by Coventry chairman Ray Ranson.

Coleman told Sky Sports News: "It's my first training session tomorrow, I'll be looking at everyone to see where we need to strengthen. I can't do that until the summer but then we'll put together a team who can compete at the other end of this league and try and get us into the next league.

"It's not going to be easy, but the chairman is very realistic about the time in which he wants to do it and the way he wants to do it in terms of the style of play.

"I'm very impressed with what I've seen, it's a fantastic stadium, it really is a Premier League ground and hopefully we can get a team together to copy that.

"First things first, we've got to make sure we get out of trouble, we need to get some points and make sure we climb the table. It's a big opportunity, it's a big challenge, it's not going to be easy but it's a challenge I'm looking forward to."

It was former Manchester City defender Ranson's vision for the future of the club which ended Coleman's brief absence from the game following his departure from Sociedad last month.

Chunky and tasty

He added: "I had two lengthy conversations with Ray Ranson and I was very impressed with what he said and his vision for the club. I said it would have to be a little bit chunky and a little bit tasty to get me to come back into football and this really fitted the bill.

"When Ray told me his plans for the club I shared his vision. What he had to say and the way he wanted it to run is the way I think it should be done. He's realistic with what he wants to do and the time he wants to do it. It's not an overnight plan, it's not a quick-fix."

And Ranson was equally delighted to have secured the services of Coleman, who he believes he has all the qualities required to secure promotion.

He said: "He was my number one choice, he's a young manager, he's a Premiership manager and he's won many games in the Premiership.

"He had the courage and conviction to go and ply his trade in Spain where he had a successful, albeit short spell, and he wants to come to Coventry City."