Premier League round-up

Arsenal's draw at Birmingham City was overshadowed by an horrific injury to Eduardo, Manchester United reduced the gap at the top, while Fernando Torres hit a hat-trick as Liverpool beat Middlesbrough.

Portsmouth boosted their European hopes, Wigan Athletic's bid for survival received a lift and West Ham United left it late to beat Fulham.

James McFadden converted an injury-time penalty as 10-man Birmingham City drew 2-2 at home to leaders Arsenal.

Blues had Martin Taylor sent off after just three minutes following a robust challenge on Eduardo, which saw the Gunners striker stretchered off with a broken leg.

The hosts took the lead on 28 minutes when McFadden whipped a free-kick over the wall and into the top corner.

Theo Walcott's first Premier League goal for Arsenal drew the visitors level five minutes into the second half when he finished from close range after Emmanuel Adebayor had beaten Maik Taylor to a corner.

Walcott followed that goal up by putting Arsenal in front on 55 minutes with a powerful run and low finish beyond Birmingham keeper Taylor.

Arsenal appeared to be cruising to all three points until deep into stoppage-time when McFadden fired home from the spot after Gael Clichy had brought down Stuart Parnaby.

The Gunners' slip-up handed Manchester United the impetus, and they took their opportunity with both hands, running riot at Newcastle to close the gap at the top of the table to three points.

Wayne Rooney got the ball rolling for Sir Alex Ferguson's side, firing home from close range, before Cristiano Ronaldo doubled their advantage just before the interval.

The Portugal international made it 3-0 on 56 minutes as he rounded goalkeeper Steve Harper, before The Magpies got themselves on the scoresheet with Abdoulaye Faye smashing past Edwin van der Sar.

However, United restored their three-goal lead within a matter of minutes as Rooney curled home a wonderful strike, while Louis Saha rounded off Newcastle's miserable evening as he slotted home in stoppage-time.

Torres plundered a treble as Liverpool moved back up to fourth in the Premier League with a 3-2 home success over Middlesbrough.

Boro silenced Anfield by taking the lead on nine minutes when Stewart Downing's free-kick from the right was glanced past Jose Reina by Tuncay Sanli.

But a double blast from Torres had Liverpool in front by the half-hour, with the Spaniard capitalising on Julio Arca's poor header to equalise on 28 minutes.

Torres scored again two minutes later, collecting a pass from Fabio Aurelio and smashing a 25-yard drive beyond the dive of Mark Schwarzer.

Tuncay then had a goal chalked off for handball, while Jeremie Aliadiere's finish was ruled out for offside.

Record signing Torres completed his hat-trick just past the hour mark as he steered the ball into an empty net from the edge of the box after a mix-up between Schwarzer and David Wheater.

With seven minutes to go, Downing nipped in behind the Liverpool defence to poke the ball past Reds keeper Reina.

But Boro's chances of grabbing an equaliser were dented when Aliadiere was sent off after slapping Javier Mascherano.

Sunderland are still awaiting a first away win of the season after Jermain Defoe's penalty secured Portsmouth a 1-0 success at Fratton Park.

Pompey snatched the winner on 69 minutes when Defoe converted from the spot after Niko Kranjcar had tumbled over under a soft challenge from Phil Bardsley.

Paul Jewell endured a miserable return to the JJB Stadium as bottom club Derby County lost 2-0 to Wigan Athletic.

Wigan could have had the lead in the first half when Mario Melchiot's effort appeared to cross the line before being cleared by Giles Barnes.

But on the hour mark there were no doubts as Paul Scharner smashed home from close range after Roy Carroll had twice denied Emile Heskey.

The Latics made the game safe on 84 minutes when Antonio Valencia scored his first goal of the season from Wilson Palacios' astute pass.

Fulham remain deep in trouble after Nolberto Solano's scrambled late effort clinched a 1-0 win for West Ham United at Craven Cottage.

The Hammers pinched all three points on 87 minutes when Luis Boa Morte chested the ball into the path of Solano.

Antti Niemi came out of goal, but the ball struck Solano and rolled into the net, with Fulham's Leon Andreasen then sent off for a second yellow card.