Shearer unsure on Magpies role

Newcastle legend Alan Shearer says he has no plans to take up an official role with the club.

Magpies boss Kevin Keegan tried to persuade Shearer to join his coaching staff following his shock return to Tyneside in January.

Shearer declined the opportunity to accept a position within Keegan's new regime and the former England captain says the situation has not changed.

Nothing planned
"I don't know if I am going do management at some stage in my career," Shearer told Sky Sports News. "It interests me, yes, but I am happy in what I am doing at this moment in time.

"What I have said to Kevin is, if I do have a spare day I will go in and maybe train with them and maybe do something with the forwards, but nothing has been planned."

Shearer, meanwhile, has backed Keegan to help Newcastle stave off the threat of relegation despite a disastrous run of form.

Keegan has yet to win upon his return to the club, with the Magpies sitting just six points off the drop zone after a run of only two victories in 18 games.

"Kevin is not a miracle worker," added Shearer. "There was obviously problems there beforehand, he has had to go in and sort them out and he has to get his own players in during the summer - it is as simple as that.

"I am pretty convinced they won't go down, they are still too good for that to happen.

"The players are just short of confidence, they just need a win and once that happens I am sure you will see a different team."