Rosberg downplays form

German says Williams can fight with Renault and Red Bull

Last updated: 28th February 2008

Formula 1 2008 Season

Rosberg: Impressive times

Nico Rosberg has downplayed Williams' form in pre-season testing, the German saying the team has yet to break into F1's top-three constructors.

Rosberg and new team-mate Kazuki Nakajima have impressed during recent tests, often placing their FW30s in the top six on the timesheets.

Their results have seen Williams bag the 'best of the rest' tag in the build-up to the new season behind world champions Ferrari and McLaren-Mercedes.

However, while Rosberg reckons Williams can fight with the likes of Renault and Red Bull, he thinks the team cannot yet make the mantle their own.

"That would be a bit too optimistic I think," he told Autosport.

"I see us fighting with Renault and Red Bull. BMW is the only one I don't really know about.

"For sure it's going to be tight with Renault and Red Bull and I hope that from one track to another specifically we can get a bit of an edge over them.

"So our target is probably fourth in the constructors' championship at the moment."

Difficult prediction

As for Nakajima, the Japanese driver reckons Williams will have to wait until the first race in Australia before knowing where they are in the pecking order.

"We don't know where we are so it is difficult to predict," he said.

"I think the team is getting better and better and I have a good team-mate. I was on the way to improving through this winter and also through the season so everything is going great. I am feeling quite positive."