Kimi - too close to call

Finn happy with team's progress

Last updated: 29th February 2008

Formula 1 2008 Season

Raikkonen: cautious

World champion Kimi Raikkonen has played down Ferrari's billing as favourites to win this year's World title, insisting the Scuderia face stiff competition from McLaren.

Ferrari's F2008 has been the car to beat in pre-season testing as it outpaced its rivals over long distance runs.

This has understandably earned Ferrari the favourites tag for the 2008 Drivers' and Constructors' Championships.

But Raikkonen was cautious when asked by Autosport if he thought Ferrari were the favourites.

"I don't know," he said. "I think we have a strong package, but we don't know how fast the others are. We will only see that in the race.

"We are quite happy with what we have done over the winter so we will see in Melbourne.

"I think we have good reliability. We had some small things last year that unfortunately stopped the car in the race but it can always happen."

The Finn also reckons it is difficult to choose between Ferrari and McLaren at present as the two outfits have swapped fastest time for fastest time throughout the pre-season tests.

"In Melbourne we will see who is fast or not, because you cannot say from the tests. The times look close," he said.

"Somebody goes fast one day and another guy another day. We will wait for a couple of weeks and we will know in qualifying.

"But I think McLaren are for sure strong, so we need to see how good they are in the race."

The Formula One season gets under way in Australia on March 16.