In quotes: Fincham's move to ITV

"There is more to this than running BBC One," cautioned Peter Fincham shortly after his shock appointment as ITV's director of television. "Everyone understands the nature and challenge of TV in this multichannel world. Everyone knows it is tough out there."

Elsewhere, questions bothering staff across the television industry, and in Digital Spy's forums, ranged from why the former BBC One controller and multimillionaire took the job to why predecessor Simon Shaps left so abruptly.

On the appointment
ITV executive chairman Michael Grade: "It is very unusual to find a ready made successor for a job as big as this. Peter was far and away the strongest candidate to succeed Simon. His programme making, commissioning and scheduling experience make him uniquely qualified for the job and I am deeply impressed by his competitive instincts – particularly at the BBC."

Lorraine Heggessey, who Fincham replaced at BBC One: "Peter is a creative and he backs talent. He is great at managing relationships both in front of and behind the camera and also has experience of running a channel which is important."

Forum member GeorgeS: "Wow. Didn't see that coming!"

Forum member Mikw: "Good signing, Peter is a decent guy who had to, unfairly, resign due to the Crowngate issue. Hopefully he can commission some 'non-braindead' programmes for ITV!"

On what he has in store for ITV
Fincham: "Entertainment is core to ITV1, as is drama. I don't want to go into specific thoughts about ITV other than to say I am a believer in TV and in popular TV."

An unnamed indie executive: "Entertainment will definitely change. There will be a complete change of personnel. He will sort out entertainment."

Daisy Goodwin, a former colleague at TalkbackThames and founder of indie Silver River, on his job at the BBC and what will happen at ITV: "Peter has got a very good grasp of the two things ITV have to get right - drama and entertainment. Peter knows how to do that. He has shown rather brilliantly that he is pretty much equal to most of the challenges that get thrown his way. He did a very good job at BBC One and made a lot of good decisions."

A "close friend" told The Sun: “Peter loves big popular telly and can’t wait to get to grips with ITV. He’s got a great track record of finding winning shows. He’s planning to bring some of that magic to ITV."

An unnamed City analyst: "Fincham is more of a content man than a broadcast man, and it's not as if he doesn't have seasoned people around him. Grade is recreating the company in his own image."

Forum member GH Online: "I'd like to share (the) hope that Peter Fincham joining Monkey TV could be a good thing. Unfortunately we had the same hopes when Michael Grade joined them and sadly he ended up kowtowing to shareholders. Why should Mr Fincham be any different?"

Forum member Germany Bound: "Two questions about Peter Fincham. 1) When does he take up his new role? 2) Does he like football?"

On why Fincham took the role
A close former colleague: "This is a big 'f**k you' to the BBC. What he is really saying to the BBC with this is, 'You f**kers, I gave you my heart and soul.' He doesn't need the money... Peter is much too smart not to have really considered this but I hope his satisfaction in saying 'f**k you' to the BBC hasn't outweighed his sense. I am quite amazed Peter is doing it."

Fincham: "This is a fantastic opportunity that doesn't come along very often. I am pretty excited to be throwing myself back into the fray. I can't think of a more exciting job."

On Shaps and his departure
Grade: "He (Shaps) has made an inestimable contribution to ITV over 26 years... Simon bows out on a high, having delivered ITV's best year-on-year broadcast performance for many years."

Shaps: "ITV has given me some extraordinary professional opportunities. I would like to pay a special tribute to my commissioning, scheduling and commercial teams, who have delivered so much for our stakeholders – audiences and advertisers alike."

Daisy Goodwin: "Simon's strategy (at BBC One) was bold and he certainly took some risks. He should get more credit than people give him."

An unnamed ITV insider: "When he got there he found out it was not as easy as it looked from the outside."

Rupert Howell, ITV managing director of brand and commercial, asked whether the replacement was down to problems with programming: "No. The schedule changes have gone very well."