Ferguson happy to have rotated

Sir Alex Ferguson was delighted to have been able to rest some of his key players in the 3-0 win at Fulham.

The United boss left Wayne Rooney and Cristiano Ronaldo on the bench for 70 minutes at Craven Cottage in preparation for a UEFA Champions League showdown with Lyon in midweek.

The duo were hardly missed though as the Red Devils made light work of the tricky weather conditions to move within a point of Premier League leaders Arsenal.

Goals from Owen Hargreaves, Ji-Sung Park and an own goal from Simon Davies saw the Red Devils cruise to a routine victory which pleased their boss.

"The pitch was lively. It was a windy day and in these conditions you have to have good concentration and I think we've done our job well," Ferguson told Sky Sports.

"The pleasing thing for me was that I was able to use my squad. We've got a massive game on Tuesday against Lyon and resting Rooney and Ronaldo was vital for us to do.

"But the team I picked showed a great desire for the game, they worked really hard.

"I don't think Fulham were a great threat to us in terms of inside the penalty box, but outside the box they played some good football and pressed the ball really well and gave us a test.

"Obviously scoring a goal right on half-time time killed them really. It was a good goal from Ji-Sung, his first of the year, so we're pleased with that."

The convincing scoreline also ensures that United maintain their superior goal difference over rivals Arsenal, a fact which could prove vital come the end of the season judging by how close the race for the title continues to be.

"Well if it comes down to goal difference then it can make a difference no doubt about that and I think we are now seven goals ahead of Arsenal," Ferguson said.

"But the way it's been going the past few weeks, the see-saw, we were in the lead by three points I think at one point and that was whittled away. Then we were five points behind Arsenal and now it's down to one point and there seems to be a bit of a see-saw.

"But you also have to look over you shoulder. Chelsea's scoreline today (a 4-0 win at West Ham) was emphatic and they're on the coattails of fourth place, so it looks as though it's going to be a fantastic run-in."

United could actually have reclaimed top spot were it not for a late Nicklas Bendtner equaliser for the Gunners in their game with Aston Villa, and Ferguson could not resist a light hearted dig at his rivals luck.

"95th minute wasn't it," Ferguson joked.

"Typical seven minutes of injury time at Arsenal."