Kovalainen in it to win it

New McLaren man will not settle for second place

Last updated: 3rd March 2008

Formula 1 2008 Season

Kovalainen: Reveals ambition
I would not have come to the team if I didn't think I had an equal chance to fight for the championship and at McLaren I have that.

Heikki Kovalainen is relishing the opportunity to challenge Lewis Hamilton for the world title at McLaren this season.

With less than two weeks to go before the start of the new season, the majority of the F1 teams completed their final pre-season test at Barcelona.

It was a successful outing for McLaren with Lewis Hamilton dominating the proceedings and the team therefore goes into this year's campaign as one of the favourites to win the world title.

But while many are expecting Hamilton to be McLaren's main challenger, his team-mate is confident that the Woking outfit's equal opportunity policy will also see him fighting for race wins and the world title.

"I would not have come to the team if I didn't think I had an equal chance to fight for the championship and at McLaren I have that," the 23-year-old said.

"At least to start with I have exactly the same opportunity that Lewis has and then it's up to me to build a relationship with the team and be as strong as I can and then we see what happens.

"But I absolutely have equal opportunities."