Champions League round-up

Chelsea have become the third British club to secure a place in the UEFA Champions League quarter-finals as they swept aside Olympiakos, while Real Madrid again crashed out of Europe at the first knock-out stage.

After Manchester United and Arsenal waltzed into the last eight of Europe's top club competition on Tuesday night, Chelsea refused to miss out as they cruised past their Greek opponents 3-0 at Stamford Bridge after a 0-0 first-leg draw in Athens.

Real, who had Pepe sent-off, had no excuses as they mirrored their 2-1 first-leg defeat to Roma as the Spanish giants slumped to an identical loss at the Bernabeu to ensure they leave Europe's premier club competition at the last 16 phase for the fourth year running.

Elsewhere, Schalke booked their place in the last eight as the German side defeated ten-man Porto, who had Jorge Fucile controversially dismissed, in a dramatic penalty shoot-out.

Chelsea wasted little time in taking the lead as Michael Ballack produced a trademark timed run into the box to deftly head in a 6th minute cross form Frank Lampard.

And Avram Grant's side were not forced to wait long for a second as 19 minutes later Ballack was again at the hub of Chelsea's attack as his snap shot from an acute angle was parried by Olympiakos goalkeeper Antonis Nikopolidis allowing Lampard the simple task of smashing over the line from close range.

Olympiakos travelled to England promising a Greek tragedy for their hosts after a first-leg stalemate, but Panagiotis Lemonis' side were blown away by Chelsea's fiery start.

And three minutes after the interval Chelsea replicated their explosive beginning to the first-half as Salomon Kalou bundled home a Lampard corner to kill the contest.

In a nervy encounter at the Bernabeu, Real - the most successful club in the history of the European Cup - again fell at the first knock-out stage as they suffered a 4-2 aggregate defeat to Roma.

The Italians enjoyed the better of the first half and were unfortunate not to take the lead when Alberto Aquilani unleashed a blistering effort from all of 40 yards which rattled off the far post.

Real failed to threaten and only truly went close when Julio Baptista curled a free-kick towards goal, but it was to no avail.

The Bernabau faithful were noticeably frustrated by their side's cagey display and after the interval Baptista rattled the cross bar with a free-kick, but the Primera Liga side continued to struggle.

However, the game then exploded into life as Real defender Pepe was given his marching orders after collecting his second booking on 71 minutes and two minutes later Roma pinched a 3-1 aggregate lead as Rodrigo Taddei headed in a Max Tonetto cross.

Real, though, fell back on their Mr Champions League as Spanish striker Raul poached an equaliser, and his 61st goal in the competition, with 15 minutes remaining after being fed by Robinho to set up a nervy finish.

But, Christian Panucci delivered a precise injury-time free-kick for fellow substitute Mirko Vucinic to head in and end Real's European dreams.

Schalke enjoyed a 1-0 lead from the first-leg, but it was Porto who began the better at the Drago Stadium as Raul Meireles and Lisandro Lopez combined well only for the latter to drag his shot.

Chances were then at a premium as Schalke steadied themselves, but after half-time the Bundesliga outfit were grateful to Manuel Neuer as the goalkeeper produced a world class save to deny a point blank header from Tarik Sektioui.

However, Porto - who won the Champions League in 2004 - were then fortunate not to go down to ten-men as Schalke striker Halil Altintop shot at goal only to see goalkeeper Da Helton clearly handle the effort outside his 18-yard area, but English referee Howard Webb dubiously turned a blind eye.

Webb then added to his controversial night as he harshly dismissed full-back Fucile for a challenge on Altintop on 64 minutes.

That, though, was only the beginning of the drama as ten-man Porto sent the game to extra-time as Lucho Gonzalez fed Lisandro who blasted in a blistering effort from the edge of the box on 86 minutes.

And with neither side capable of breaking the deadlock in the additional 30 minutes, the contest was to be decided by penalties.

Marcio Rafinha and Ivan Rakitic netted Schalke's first two spot-kicks and Lucho coolly slotted in for Porto.

However, Neuer then saved Porto centre-back Bruno Alves's weak kick and Schalke capitalised as Altintop converted his side's third.

And then when Lisandro saw his effort superbly stopped by Neuer, Jermaine Jones had the chance to win it for Schalke and the German international did not disappoint as he fired in off the under side of the bar.

Chelsea 3 Olympiakos 0

Porto 1 Schalke 0

Real Madrid 1 Roma 2