Hamilton more motivated

Brit sensation adopting "quieter" attitude in 2008

Hamilton: Very positive

Heading into his second Formula One season, Lewis Hamilton says his motivation is higher than it was in his remarkable rookie year.

The McLaren-Mercedes driver scored a podium finish on his F1 debut at the Australian Grand Prix 12 months ago before going on to take another 11 during 2007.

Four of those were race victories, with Hamilton leading the championship for most of the season before, agonisingly, being pipped by Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen in the closing race in Brazil.

Ahead of next weekend's season opener in Melbourne, Hamilton revealed that, with one year's worth of experience behind him, he is approaching 2008 differently.

However, the 23-year-old added his hope that a newfound "quieter" attitude can this time pay dividends.

"I generally don't ever demand or have expectations of myself or anyone else - I am more focused on targets," he said.

"The targets for the team and for myself are to win as many races as possible, improve on my performance from last year, finish all the races, and for the team it is to win the constructors' title.

"My motivation is even higher than last year, but in a slightly different way.

"I would say last year was an uncontrollable determination and excitement, just not really knowing what was coming up, just going into the deep blue.

"Now I know what to expect, I know about my preparations so I am storing energy.

"To some people it might appear I am quieter or something along those lines, but I am saving all this energy for the first race, and I cannot wait to get out there."

With McLaren's MP4-23 having appeared strong in pre-season testing, Hamilton claims to have "total confidence in the car," with his initial target a race victory at Albert Park.

He told Sky Sports News: "For me, the bonus of this year is obviously that I've got the experience of last year - the circuits that I know.

"Going into Melbourne last year I didn't know the circuit. I had all this pressure on top of me and also not really knowing whether I was going to do a good job.

"Now, through pre-season testing and because of last year's experience, I know what to expect and I hope I can hit the ground running a bit more than I did last year."