Owen happy at Newcastle

Striker vows to prove critics wrong

Newcastle striker Michael Owen insists he is happy at the club despite their disastrous run of form.

The Magpies have been dragged into a relegation fight after failing to record a win since Kevin Keegan's return to the club in January.

Owen's future on Tyneside has been the subject of speculation with his current contract due to expire at the end of the season.

Former Liverpool star Owen is reported to be looking a new deal at Newcastle and the 28-year-old says he is settled at St James' Park.

"I know people talk about contract negotiations," Owen told the Daily Mail. I'm in a similar position to a lot of players at our club.

"I'm settled in Newcastle and I am happy at Newcastle, although not happy with the results at the moment."

Owen also admitted he fears for his place in the England squad after failing to make the starting XI in Fabio Capello's first game in charge against Switzerland.

Reports have suggested Owen may not be included in Capello's squad for this month's friendly with France and the striker is aware his predicament with Newcastle could see him miss out for England

"When you're down it's hard to be listened to," added Owen.

"Results aren't going well and, when you're not playing well as a team and individually, then individuals will not get picked for the national team.

"The new manager has only had one game in charge and that was a friendly, so we'll see what develops."

Owen also hit back at criticism that he is not the same player he used to be.

The former European Player of the Year has scored only four Premier League goals this term in an injury-hit campaign, but Owen insists he is still as good as ever.

"Players don't change overnight. I'm still the same player I was last year, I'm the same player I was five years ago," concluded Owen.