Hamilton - We'll push harder

Championship leader anticipating more of the same at Sepang

Australian Grand Prix winner Lewis Hamilton believes there is more to come from McLaren-Mercedes this weekend in Malaysia.

Hamilton and team-mate Heikki Kovalainen picked up a total of 14 points in Melbourne, with rivals Ferrari scoring just a single point through world champion Kimi Raikkonen.

Having stormed to victory, Hamilton nevertheless claimed to have approached the race conservatively, saying "there were a few areas where I took my time".

And, with Ferrari struggling to find a solution to engine problems that ended the races of both Raikkonen and Felipe Massa, Hamilton says he is ready to go even faster this weekend at Sepang.

"I had a great weekend in Australia but it wasn't a perfect weekend. I didn't get fastest lap," he told The Telegraph.

"I could have produced it, there is more to come. I think, being the opening race, there were a few areas where I took my time.

"If the Ferraris were fast, I was confident that I would be able to fight them. I didn't think it was going to be a case of they are quicker in the race and we're much quicker in qualifying.

"Going into next weekend we want to do the same again. We have got to push hard. Last year we were quick [in Malaysia] so that should mean we will be quick again.

"There is more to come. I think being the opening race there were a few areas where I took my time."

Good words

Hamilton also had nothing but good words for Kovalainen, who finished fifth in Albert Park and only missed out on second place when a late safety car period compromised his strategy.

"He was unlucky not to get a podium [finish]," he said. "The safety car thing was a pain in the arse. I was lucky because I was out in front - they could pull me in - but he did a great job.

"I am sure that if there is a point in a race when we are one-two it is going to be a great battle. He is pushing me very, very hard and has great pace.

"And I was very impressed with the overtaking moves he did. It was a great move on (Fernando) Alonso, who is a tough cookie to overtake."