Cole makes double apology

England star admits he was in the wrong

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole has apologised for his tackle on Alan Hutton and his reaction to referee Mike Riley.

Cole's tackle on Tottenham defender Hutton during the 4-4 draw at White Hart Lane on Wednesday night sparked a red card storm.

The incident provoked an angry reaction from both sets of players and both benches, with Spurs feeling the former Arsenal man deserved a red card for the tackle.

Cole also had a stand-off with referee Mike Riley over the incident, with the official booking the defender for the offence.

The England international has now issued a double apology for the tackle and his actions towards Riley after reviewing footage of the incident.

"I'd like to apologise to anyone I offended and of course Alan Hutton who I tackled.

"I didn't mean to go in hard that way, it was high but I tried to read the ball and get the ball first, but he was a little bit too quick for me.

"It wasn't malicious and I'm a little disappointed with what people are saying, that I meant it. Of course it was a bad tackle at the time but in the heat of the moment you want to win the game and win every tackle, and as I said I'm sorry for Alan, but it was never meant."

Cole also insisted he never meant to disrespect Riley and admitted he needs to work on controlling his emotions.

"I'm an emotional person, things can happen on the pitch very quickly but I didn't mean to disrespect the referee," added Cole.

"I recognise this is a part of my game that I need to work on and control."