Beckham - Fab is the man

Former England skipper confident Capello will bring success

David Beckham believes Fabio Capello is the perfect man to help England finally realise their potential as he prepares to win his 100th international cap against France on Wednesday.

Beckham has done enough during pre-season training with Los Angeles Galaxy to impress the Italian manager and earn himself a recall to the squad after he was snubbed for last month's friendly with Switzerland at Wembley.

As the squad met up the former Real Madrid player was re-united was his old boss for the first time since they shared their La Liga triumph at the end of last season, and Beckham insists if anyone can bring the best out of England, it's Capello.

"He is without doubt the right man for the England job," said Beckham.

"He's got his own ways and he knows how to get teams playing. That's what our country needs - we need to get the confidence back of the nation and we can start by playing some good games.

"We've definitely got the right man for that. He's started off well, the regime has totally changed round and the players have recognised that."

Beckham admits he was embarrassed after England failed to qualify for this year's European Championships and believes it is now time for everybody in the squad to start fulfilling their undoubted potential.

"It's embarrassing to a certain extent when we promise things and say how good we are as a team and don't fulfil our potential," he said.

"Now we've got a manager who knows how to get the best out of players.

"If you're not playing well and don't respond, you won't be in the team. We've got a manager with very strong beliefs, but it's about fulfilling that potential on the pitch now and he can help us achieve that."

The former England captain revealed his disappointment when he was overlooked by Steve McClaren following his decision to stand down as England captain after the 2006 World Cup.

However, as Beckham as shown throughout is career he was determined to bounce back and prove his doubters wrong.

"Nothing really changed when I was left out by Steve McClaren but I came back realising I had to prove to people again that I deserved to be here," he said.

"Whether people felt that at that time it was easy for me because I'd had a good relationship with the previous managers and they were just picking me for my name, I don't know.

"I had to prove to people that I deserved to be here. That's always been my motivation, the thing that keeps me going."