Owen loves life with KK

Newcastle captain happy to end winless run

Michael Owen insists he is loving life at Newcastle under manager Kevin Keegan after recording a 2-0 victory over Fulham on Saturday.

It was rumoured Owen could leave St James' Park following Keegan's return to the North East in January after the striker was critical of the former England boss during their time together at international level.

However, Owen has been appointed Magpies captain by Keegan and the forward netted his fourth goal in seven games in the victory over Fulham to leave his manager calling on the Newcastle board to offer the forward a new contract.

The result also brought to an end Keegan's winless run since his return to Tyneside and Owen admits he was glad to secure a first victory to ease Newcastle's relegation fears.

"It's a monkey off our backs," Owen told the Daily Star. "You could sense the relief, not only among the fans but also the players, staff and everyone.

"I'm enjoying it. Obviously it was tough at the start, just as it was for the manager.

"He came in and appointed me (as captain) and we almost started new roles together.

"It was a tough assignment straightaway with Arsenal away twice and then Liverpool and Manchester United.

"But now we've managed to get the manager's first win and my first as captain.

"You can go home for a meal with the missus and not go to bed with a sore head. Now hopefully we can go on a little run."