Alonso fuels Ferrari rumours

Spaniard reveals escape clause in contract

Double world champion Fernando Alonso has decided to play along with rumours that he could be off to Ferrari to replace Felipe Massa.

Following two retirements - and two glaring mistakes - in the opening two races of the season, rumours are already circulating that Ferrari could replace Massa at the end of the season.

Toro Rosso's highly-rated youngster Sebastian Vettel was the first name to be mentioned, with Renault's Alonso - who only rejoined the team at the start of the current season - also a candidate to join Kimi Raikkonen.

Best car

However, while Toro Rosso have denied that Vettel could be moving, Alonso has revealed he has an escape clause in his contract that he may consider using.

"It's early to talk about moves and rumours, but Massa has had two bad races with mistakes and that has kicked off speculation," Alonso told Spanish newspaper AS. "It's logical, but as I said, it's too early.

"I always try to be in the best car. I'm at Renault now because I wanted to go back to winning, like in 2005 and 2006. If not this year, then next year.

"But I have an option to leave so I can still be in the best possible car, and it is clear that Ferrari's is one of the best."

World champion Raikkonen comfortably won Sunday's race, while Alonso claimed the final world championship point for Renault by finishing eighth.

As things stand, both Raikkonen and Massa are under contract with Ferrari until the end of 2010.

Alonso also re-iterated that he expects little from Renault in 2008, adding sarcastically: "The first place (in the world championship) has got 14 points, and after two more or less average races I've picked up six.

"Plus I'm only five points off Raikkonen."