Owen admits to French lesson

Striker hopes to learn from efficient France

Michael Owen believes England can learn from their French counterparts after suffering a 1-0 defeat at the Stade de France.

Franck Ribery struck a 32nd minute penalty as coach Fabio Capello slumped to his first lost in his second game in charge of England.

And Owen, who came on from the substitutes' bench at the interval, has urged his team-mates to learn from France as Raymond Domenech's coasted to victory, restricting England's attacking play.

"Once a team like that is 1-0 up it is really difficult," he told Sky Sports News.

"I suppose we could learn a thing or two about how to close a game out and the way they pass the ball - they are a classy team."

Goalkeeper David James admitted that German referee Florian Meyer was right to award France their penalty after he felled Nicolas Anelka in the 18-yard area.

"I wasn't going to get the ball first so I actually tried to get out the way of him," he said.

"Nicolas knocked the ball past and ran into me so as a goalkeeper you feel slightly hard done by.

"But if that had been one of your forwards against them we would have expected the penalty."

Owen Hargreaves believes England were unfortunate to lose, but admits they lacked creativity after managing just one shot on target throughout the 90 minutes.

"I think we played some good football in the first half. We kept the ball," the midfielder said.

"We possibly could have created a few more chances, overall we there were quite a few positive but we were a bit unlucky."

Rio Ferdinand is sure that England are improving, but admits it was disappointing to lose his first game as captain.

"Yes, it was disappointing," he said. "But I think it was more about the team. In some aspects we took a stride forward today.

"Players were not scared to get on the ball and play. At times, in the first half, we were passing it very well.

"They could not get near us at times, maybe we did not create many openings though."