Anelka happy with role

Frenchman expects to get plenty of chances

Nicolas Anelka has insisted that he is more concerned with Chelsea achieving success than with personal glory.

The Frenchman moved to Stamford Bridge from Bolton in January but has found it difficult to establish himself as a regular in the side.

There is fierce competition for places in attack and Avram Grant often prefers to play with just one out-and-out striker.

However, Anelka is happy with his role as he believes there will be plenty of opportunities over the course of a season for him to prove his worth.

Anelka is looking to contribute in any way he can, whether that be as a starter or off the bench, as Chelsea continue to challenge for the Premier League title and the UEFA Champions League.

"If you play at Chelsea, then the important thing is to win things as a team," Anelka said in the Daily Express.

"Now we are in the final moments of the season and we have to win. So, if I can do anything to help the team to win, I will do it.

"Sometimes you play, sometimes you don't. That's part of the game. You have to accept it as a group and realise the important thing is the team win something.

"There are so many games in a season at Chelsea that everyone will have the chance to contribute.

"I don't think about being a starter. Of course I want to play, but I want to help the team win things in the first place. That is the main thing I think about."