Owen eyes Fab England role

Striker hopes for further opportunities to make his mark

Michael Owen has voiced his hope that Fabio Capello might soon entrust him with a more prominent role in his England side.

Owen was an unused substitute in Capello's first game in charge against Switzerland, but played the second half of Wednesday's 1-0 loss versus France.

The Newcastle United man's chances of breaking into Capello's starting XI appear restricted as the Italian has started with Wayne Rooney as the lone striker in a 4-5-1 system in the games against Switzerland and France.

But Owen, who has struck 40 goals in his 89 England appearances, has urged Capello to involve him more in the forthcoming fixtures.

"In terms of what he is trying to do, you'd best ask the manager," he said in the Daily Mirror. "Every player wants to play, but for now I'm not.

"I hope the manager knows what I am about. I am sure he has seen me play, he has watched videos. I missed a lot of qualifying through my cruciate injury, but when I came back I played quite well.

"I scored a couple against Russia and one against Israel and Estonia. I only played one more game, Russia away when we got beat, so I did all right in qualifying and I am sure he has seen me play before.

"I've come off the bench under other managers before. There are enough reasons to want to win for your country than a new manager but it is certainly another ingredient as to why everyone wants to do well.

"We'll see what happens next time. We've got a spate of friendlies now, unfortunately friendlies instead of playing in a tournament, so there's plenty of time for him to try different things."