Capello - Becks like Ronaldo

England boss compares 32-year-old to 23-year-old

Head coach Fabio Capello believes that David Beckham can be England's Cristiano Ronaldo.

Beckham became only the fifth player to reach 100 England caps as he started in the 1-0 loss to France on Wednesday.

Ronaldo has been in blistering form for Manchester United this season, scoring 34 goals, while Beckham is considered, by some, to be nearing the end of his best playing days.

But Capello feels that the Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder is the man to improve his side's lack of creativity after England mustered just one shot on target against France at the Stade de France.

"I have a David Beckham," he said. "He can be my Ronaldo and (Wayne) Rooney can be my Fernando Torres (of Liverpool).

"I only took Beckham off (in the 63rd minute) because I know what he can do, know all about him and I wanted to see others."

Capello surprised a number of critics after he praised his players for their performances against France.

And the Italian has reaffirmed his backing for the squad, insisting they have progressed to his satisfaction during his two games in charge.

"After two games I am satisfied," he continued. "All I am interested in is trying to get a team ready for the World Cup campaign.

"These are the kind of matches when you discover a lot about players. I wanted to see as many as possible and for me there were a lot of positives.

"I know what I can get out of these players and am happy. We played in two different ways, created chances and there was a lot I liked. I saw bravery and personality.

"The only thing I would criticise is that we allowed (Nicolas) Anelka through on goal for the penalty."

Capello also defended his utilisation of Rooney as a lone striker and playing Steven Gerrard just behind.

"I used them in the exact positions they play for their clubs," Capello concluded.