Premier League round-up

Rams' relegation confirmed as Arsenal rally to beat Bolton

Derby County have been relegated from the Premier League, Manchester United have tightened their grip on top spot, but 10-man Arsenal are still in the title race, and Sunderland and Birmingham City secured important wins.
Elsewhere, Reading edged closer towards safety after a home draw with Blackburn Rovers, while Portsmouth beat Wigan Athletic.

Paul Jewell can now firm up his plans for next season after Derby's 2-2 draw at home to Fulham, coupled with Birmingham's win over Manchester City, confirmed the club's swift return to the Championship.
Derby grabbed the lead in fortunate circumstances on 10 minutes when Dean Leacock's drive from 25 yards deflected sharply off the legs of Emanuel Villa to leave Kasey Keller wrong-footed.
But Fulham restored parity on 24 minutes when Simon Davies delivered a perfect cross into the box to pick out the unmarked Diomansy Kamara, who headed home his first goal since the end of November.

Fulham briefly appeared to be heading for a first away win in 18 months when taking the lead on 78 minutes after Hameur Bouazza's shot from the edge of the box struck Leacock and looped over Roy Carroll.
The Rams responded gallantly and equalised two minutes later when Villa rose powerfully to head home a cross from the right.

Arsenal's title dreams appeared to be over at half-time at the Reebok Stadium, but Arsene Wenger's side battled back to beat Bolton Wanderers 3-2 with 10 men.
Bolton were in front after 14 minutes when Gretar Steinsson whipped in a superb cross from the right touchline and Matt Taylor stole in ahead of Kolo Toure to head the ball past Manuel Almunia for his first goal for the club.

Arsenal's prospects of drawing level were dented on 31 minutes when Abou Diaby was sent off for a rash lunge on Bolton full-back Steinsson.
Things took a further turn for the worse for the Gunners two minutes before half-time when Taylor's shot, from El Hadji Diouf's lay-off, took a decisive deflection off William Gallas en route to beating Almunia.
Yet Arsenal rallied in the second half and pulled one back on 62 minutes when Gallas darted in at the far post to guide home a corner from the left.
And six minutes later, the Gunners were level when Gary Cahill brought down Alexander Hleb in the box and Robin van Persie confidently smashed home the penalty.

In stoppage-time, Arsenal scored the unlikeliest of winners when Fabregas' attempt found its way into the net via two Bolton defenders, with the last touch coming off Jlloyd Samuel.
However, the Gunners remain six points behind Manchester United after Sir Alex Ferguson's side cruised to a 4-0 win against Aston Villa.
Cristiano Ronaldo was again among the goals at Old Trafford as he flicked the Red Devils into a 17th minuite lead.

Carlos Tevez then added a second for the league leaders before half-time, before a brace from Wayne Rooney put the seal on an impressive display.
United could have had even more, and look like being difficult to stop in their quest for back-to-back league titles.

Andy Reid scored a dramatic injury-time winner as Sunderland beat West Ham United 2-1 at the Stadium of Light to move nearer to survival.
Dean Ashton struck the post early on for West Ham, who went in front through Freddie Ljungberg's second goal for the club on 18 minutes.
Carlton Cole laid the ball off to Ljungberg on the right side of the box and his drive deflected off Nyron Nosworthy and skidded past Craig Gordon.
Sunderland equalised on 29 minutes when Kenwyne Jones tapped in from close range for his first goal of 2008 after Daryl Murphy had cleverly flicked on Kieran Richardson's low cross.

With the draw seeming likely, January signing Reid volleyed home at the far post to clinch a potentially crucial three points for the Black Cats.
Birmingham are now four points clear of the relegation zone after a 3-1 victory over Manchester City at St Andrews.
The visitors came close to opening the scoring after just seven minutes when Benjani turned in the box, but his shot came back off the base of the post.

Birmingham took the lead five minutes before half-time when Richard Dunne failed to cut out a long ball and Mauro Zarate pounced to loft a delicate finish over Joe Hart.
Zarate displayed his clinical edge again on 54 minutes to put Birmingham 2-0 up with a low finish from the edge of the box.
But Man City were back in the game straight away when Franck Queudrue was sent off for a soft foul on Benjani in the area and Elano coolly tucked away the resulting penalty.

An even more debatable penalty was awarded by Rob Styles on 77 minutes when Sun Jihai and Gary McSheffrey challenged for the ball and the latter stepped up to put Birmingham 3-1 in front.

Portsmouth warmed up for next week's FA Cup semi-final with a 2-0 home win over Wigan courtesy of Jermain Defoe's double.
Desperate defending and good fortune denied Wigan a goal on 14 minutes when Antonio Valencia's low shot was cleared to safety by Glen Johnson with the aid of the crossbar.
There was an element of luck to Pompey's opener on 32 minutes as John Utaka burst into the box, never seemingly in full control of the ball. His shot deflected across goal to the lurking Defoe, who squeezed home from a narrow angle.

Wigan had a golden chance to equalise just past the hour mark when Sylvain Distin caught Valencia's ankle in the box, but Ryan Taylor saw his penalty smartly saved by David James and then hammered the rebound over the bar.

In the final minute, Niko Kranjcar sent Defoe clear of the Wigan defence for the striker to score his eighth goal in seven appearances for Pompey.
Reading are steadily inching towards safety after a 0-0 draw at home to Blackburn Rovers, which dents the visitors' European hopes.
The talking point of a dire game at the Madejski Stadium arrived on 72 minutes when Reading midfielder Marek Matejovsky was sent off for a second yellow card.