Ronaldo hails mature United

Ronaldo heads United in front

United star hails 'fantastic' European display

Cristiano Ronaldo believes Manchester United's growing maturity can help them to UEFA Champions League glory this season.

United have one foot in the semi-finals after their impressive 2-0 win over Roma at the Stadio Olimpico on Tuesday.

Ronaldo set United on their way to victory with the opening goal to take his tally to a remarkable 36 goals this season.

The goal also took his total in the Champions League to seven in eight games making him the competition's top scorer.

The Portuguese attacker was happy with his side's performance and felt they deserved their victory.

"Well it is a fantastic result," Ronaldo told Sky Sports News. "Away games are always difficult and I think the team played fantastic, defensively very good.

"We played on the counter-attack and I think I scored a good goal, but I think at the end of the day we deserved to win.

"I think the team is more mature than last year's. The competition is different from league games, the Champions League is very difficult and I think the team play fantastically."
United defender Rio Ferdinand is refusing to take his side's progress to the last four for granted despite their two-goal advantage.

Ferdinand, who skippered United in Rome, is expecting the Italians to provide a stiff task in the return leg at Old Trafford next week.

"I think we will have a tough game over there," Ferdinand told Sky Sports News.

"I think there is enough pride in that team and desire to come to Old Trafford to try and rectify that result tonight, so we know we are going to be in for a tough game at Old Trafford and we have got to be professional on the evening."