Becks is feeling fine

England winger back to full fitness

David Beckham insists that he is now fully match fit following a slow start to life with Los Angeles Galaxy.

The former England skipper was instrumental in the Galaxy's 2-0 win over San Jose Earthquakes on Thursday, scoring one and laying on the other for Landon Donovon.

He admits that, at times, last season he was not fully prepared for matches and his performances suffered as a result.

However, after spending his first pre-season in America, and breaking back into the international fold, Beckham feels that he is now able to give his all for both club and country.

"Last year, I was probably 50% fit when I started," he said.

"I was playing in games I shouldn't have been and it just sort of went downhill from there. I feel great after two games and my England game, so I'm ready to get on with it.

"It's important from my part and the team's that (I'm) here from the beginning.

"Last year, there were a lot of distractions and I think I suffered from that - and also the team.

"I'm happy to be through the pre-season and ready to play. Last year, I wasn't even training and I was playing. It wasn't good. That's not right to do and I won't do it again."

Beckham was also delighted by the performance of his side against the Earthquakes, following a disappointing 4-0 defeat in their MLS season opener against Colorado Rapids on Saturday.

"I think tonight was a good team performance," he said.

"After our first game, which was difficult to take, we worked hard tonight and played well and that makes us happy."