Wenger accepts title defeat

Gunners boss rules his side out of the race

Arsene Wenger admits that Arsenal's title aspirations have ended following defeat at Old Trafford.

The Gunners boss saw his side beaten 2-1 by Manchester United on Sunday to leave them nine points adrift of the Red Devils with only four games remaining.

Emmanuel Adebayor had put the visitors in front just after the interval, before a Cristiano Ronaldo penalty and an Owen Hargreaves free-kick swung the tie back in United's favour.

While accepting that Arsenal are now facing another season without any silverware, Wenger feels that the Gunnners' campaign began to go off the rails back in March when they went on a run of five games without a win.

"Yes we are out (of the title race) of course," he told Sky Sports.

"I think we played with quality and spirit today and I am very proud of our performance, but what can you do?

"I think we got the message in March, we are not stupid, we understood it and we have to accept it.

"I feel that we had plenty of chances are were really unlucky not to win this game today.

"I just feel that in the last two months we have not been very lucky and we have seen that again today.

"It's difficult to find an obvious reason for our problems when you watch the game today, but the quality of performance we produced it is difficult to blame anybody."

Wenger is also well aware that his biggest challenge over the summer will now be to try and keep his talented bunch of youngsters together.

"I believe that this team is good enough," he said.

"We have had a blip since March and we have to analyse what is the reason for that, but I feel again today, and on Tuesday at Liverpool, that we played very well and the biggest target is to keep the team together."