Keegan confident over Owen

Magpies boss makes Owen top target

Newcastle boss Kevin Keegan is confident Michael Owen will sign a new deal at St James' Park.

Keegan admits he has made securing Owen's long-term future his top priority this summer as he plans for next season.

Owen has recaptured his best form in recent weeks under Keegan and the England international has played an instrumental role in helping steer the Magpies clear of trouble at the wrong end of the table.

Keegan revealed he has talked with Owen and has been assured the striker wants to stay on Tyneside.

"I talked to him last week and I don't think there will be any problem," Keegan told The Times. "We want him and he wants to stay, I think.

"He enjoys being at Newcastle. He's never really had the chance to prove it because of injuries and people have, a bit unfairly, said, 'Is he totally committed?' I'm the person best placed to answer that, and it's 'yes' with a capital Y.

"He has taken over the dressing-room with a couple of others and said, 'Come on, let's get this club where it should be.' So he'll be our main signing next season, regardless of who comes and how much they cost."