Lewis still eyeing title

British driver still confident of world title bid this year.

Lewis Hamilton remains confident that he can still win this year's World Championship despite some recent setbacks.

In sharp contrast to last year's start to the Championship, which yielded a string of nine podium finishes, Hamilton has faltered in the opening stint of this year's campaign.

Although he won the first race of the season, he could only manage fifth place in the following Grand Prix after being demoted on the grid for blocking another driver in qualifying.

That, though, was only the start of Hamilton's fall from grace.

A dismal performance in Bahrain, which saw him crash in practice and run into the back of another car during the race, culminated in him finishing a lowly 13th.

It was the lowest position in his fledging Grand Prix career and resulted in him dropping to third place in the drivers' standings.

The 23-year-old, though, is confident he can turn his fortunes around and put himself in a position to fight for the world title come the end of the season.

"I think it started off really well and then the next couple of races weren't as great, which is a bit unfortunate but that is racing," he told the official F1 website.

"There is still a long way to go, we saw last year how Kimi (Raikkonen) came from a long way back and that demonstrated how anything can happen.

"We have a good package and the team has been working very hard to make sure we continue to improve. I have learnt from my mistakes, and I have certainly not ruled out the opportunity to win this year."

Car blame

Hamilton, though, ruled out any suggestion that his MP4-23 is to blame for his failure to impress this season.

"I think we have a strong package like we did last year, perhaps it is not as good as the Ferrari's currently," he said.

"We have a quick car, for sure and I am pushing hard to get the most out of it. I don't think there is a problem.

"I don't feel we have a huge amount of catching up to do, I am quite comfortable in my position. We need to be a little more fortunate and get some better finishing places.

"Also, we are not just relying on the upgrade package - we all need to do a better job and that is what we are doing as a team."

Putting Bahrain behind him, the 23-year-old is looking ahead to the next race in Spain, which he hopes will yield a McLaren 1-2.

"I think we are going to have a solid weekend. Hopefully we will have a strong performance by me and Heikki (Kovalainen) and we will be challenging for a win," Hamilton said.