Messi dismisses Ronaldo duel

Barca playmaker puts team success before personal accolades

Lionel Messi insists that he has no desire to become embroiled in a battle with Cristiano Ronaldo.

The Barcelona playmaker will come head-to-head with his Manchester United counterpart when the two sides meet in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League semi-final showdown on Wednesday.

The pair are generally regarded as two of the most talented players on the planet, and the meeting at the Camp Nou is being billed as a showdown between the Argentinean and Portuguese superstars.

However, Messi has revealed that he is not interested in accolades and comparisons, and will instead be fully focused on helping Barca into their second Champions League final in three years.

"More than a duel between me and Ronaldo, this is a game between two big teams and will be a very interesting match," he said.

"I try to do the best I can for my team, but who is better (he or Ronaldo) is something for the people who watch football to decide."

While he may not be interested in trying to upstage Ronaldo, Messi did admit that he is looking forward to facing his international team-mate Carlos Tevez.

"It is always great to play against another team-mate and a friend," he added.

"With the quality he has, he is very important for his team."

Messi, who missed Barca's triumph over Arsenal in 2006 through injury, also insists that the Spanish giants have what it takes to end United's European dreams at the last four stage.

"We believe in ourselves, we only ask for the people to come along and support us," he said.

"They are a great team with great players, but we want to keep the ball,

"We have great players too and we are doing everything we possibly can to get to the final and win the trophy."