Lampard - We deserved luck

Chelsea handed advantage in Euro semi-final

Frank Lampard insists that Chelsea did enough to earn a draw against Liverpool at Anfield on Tuesday night.

The Blues needed a late own goal from Reds defender John Arne Riise to snatch a 1-1 draw in the first leg of their UEFA Champions League semi-final.

That crucial away goal could prove to be the turning point in the tie ahead of next Wednesday's second meeting at Stamford Bridge, and Lampard feels that the fortunate lifeline which has been handed to them was just reward for all their hard work on Merseyside.

"The home tie in the second leg was only going to be a benefit to us if we got the right result here, and that late goal has obviously made it a much better result," the midfielder told Sky Sports.

"I think we deserved that little bit of luck. We could have had a penalty, and in the years before we haven't had much luck here and if you keep going and working hard you get that little bit of luck."

Lampard also admitted after the game that a one stage last week his involvement in the European encounter had looked doubtful.

The England international has been keeping a bedside vigil beside his seriously ill mother for the last week, and only made himself available for the game after a slight improvement in her condition.

"This time last week was very bleak," revealed Lampard.

"I won't go into details but we were getting a very bleak outlook. That was the hardest moment for me in my life.

"I am very lucky because I have a very tough mum, who is a very good person, and I think that might be what is helping her at the minute.

"Three days ago I wasn't playing in my mind. But we got some decent news on Saturday afternoon and my head came round a little bit then. I made a decision to go in training on Sunday to see how I felt.

"The manager and the club have been fantastic and have not put any pressure on me whatsoever. I just felt I could come and play and in a way the training and the playing has helped to take my mind off things, whereas last week I was in a bad situation.

"I trained yesterday (Monday) and I will be honest I wasn't in the greatest of shape. I have been in better shape for games both mentally and physically but it has been a very difficult week."