Wenger - Henry happy at Barca

Arsenal boss not planning reunion with former skipper

Arsene Wenger has played down suggestions that former captain Thierry Henry could be on his way back to Arsenal.

Henry quit Emirates Stadium last summer to join Barcelona, but has endured a frustrating debut season with the Spanish giants.

He recently admitted that, if he were to return to the Premier League, then he would want to rejoin the Gunners.

The striker's fellow Frenchman, Wenger, has not ruled out Henry returning one day, but is not contemplating an imminent bid to re-sign the 30-year-old.

"Thierry said he is happy at Barcelona and if he comes back he will only play at Arsenal which I find really a very good statement," said Wenger.

"He is happy at Barcelona. You can never say never, but at the moment I do not think about that [signing him again]."

Though Henry has struggled to replicate his Arsenal form at Barcelona, Wenger does not believe the player's powers are on the wane.

He added: "I think he has a lot to offer as a player.

"I still feel he is a world-class player and he will prove in Barcelona that he is one of their better players.

"Thierry is disappointed because things haven't gone as well as he would have liked them to go.

"For me, Thierry is an efficient goalscorer, but Barca have two or three players in there.

"What was a little bit damaging to his success at Barcelona is that Ronaldinho has not turned up this season, so that the closest one who can play left wing is Thierry, and that is where he plays.

"That is not his preferred position and that is not where he is most efficient. In football, things can change quickly when you have talent, and he has plenty."