Hamilton downplays practice

Front row aim for McLaren ace

Lewis Hamilton has played down Friday's disappointing practice for the Spanish Grand Prix that saw him down in 11th place in the standings.

The Briton's McLaren has been tinkered with since the disaster in Bahrain and Hamilton was happy to use the sessions to get to know the new set-up.

Hamilton was third fastest in the morning behind the two Ferraris and he saw enough then to know he would be competitive this weekend.

"As always in second practice, people do light runs and people do heavy runs, but we don't run light in P2, so being 11th doesn't really mean anything," he said.

"But being on the heavier fuel, it was still a hard session for us because when we were here last week, on the first day in testing, the car was perfect.

"Now we've come here and it's completely different. We've had to change the set-up and we've an idea on where we should be going, so today it should be better.

"I wouldn't say I'm comfortable with the balance, although we are working hard to improve it, more so than at other places.

"There was also too much oversteer, and although we tried a lot of different things to improve, we didn't make the progress we wanted.

"But Saturday is when it counts, and I still feel we've qualifying pace and we should still be aiming for the front row of the grid.

"I don't see why we can't achieve that, but for sure Ferrari are going to be very hard to beat."