Championship round-up

Late winner at Hull denies Stoke and West Brom

Stoke City and West Brom came within five minutes of securing promotion but were denied as Hull City struck a late winner against Crystal Palace.

The Potters and The Baggies looked to be heading to the Premier League with Hull and Palace level, only for Ian Ashbee to fire home for Phil Brown's side with just five minutes remaining.

Elsewhere, Barnsley and Norwich both guaranteed their safety, while Watford's dreadful form continued as they slumped to a 1-0 loss against already-relegated Scunthorpe.

Barnsley 3 Charlton 0

Barnsley claimed a crucial victory over Charlton to guarantee their Championship safety. The Tykes went ahead in the 11th minute with Jamal Campbell-Ryce firing home from the edge of the penalty area. Simon Davey's team doubled their advantage on 33 minutes with Lewin Nyatanga on target, before Jonathan Macken sealed the success with five minutes left on the clock.

Burnley 3 Cardiff 3

Burnley and FA Cup finalists Cardiff played out a six-goal thriller at Turf Moor, with the tie ending in a draw. Owen Coyle's side took the lead after 36 minutes with referee Andy Hall overruling the linesman to allow Graham Alexander's goal to stand. Burnley made it 2-0 in the 54th minute with Andy Cole on target, only for Joe Ledley to reduce the deficit from the penalty spot just two minutes later. Aaron Ramsey then drew Cardiff level on 69 minutes, before Clarke Carlisle put Burnley back in front with just four minutes remaining. However, Steven Thompson struck for the visitors to make it 3-3 before Darren Purse was dismissed in the final stages.

Colchester 0 Stoke 1

Stoke recorded their third successive victory, but it was not enough to secure their promotion to the Premier League. The only goal of the last-ever game at Layer Road came through Richard Cresswell, who tapped past goalkeeper Dean Gerken from close range just before the break.

Coventry 1 Wolves 1

Wolves still remain in the hunt for a play-off berth after they drew 1-1 at relegation-threatened Coventry. Elliot Ward handed Coventry the lead on 18 minutes as he headed home from Daniel Fox's free-kick. Wolves drew level eight minutes after the interval as Sylvan Ebanks-Blake dispatched from the penalty spot after Michael Kightly had been felled by Scott Dann.

Hull 2 Crystal Palace 1

Hull fired a dramatic winner to keep their faint hopes of automatic promotion alive as they defeated sixth-placed Crystal Palace 2-1. Fraizer Campbell put Hull ahead in the 18th minute with a smart finish into the far corner. Palace restored parity on 38 minutes as Chelsea loanee Scott Sinclair struck with the outside of his right boot. But Hull battled right until the end and Ashbee headed home on 85 minutes to claim a crucial success.

Leicester 1 Sheffield Wednesday 3

Both Leicester and Sheffield Wednesday lie precariously close to the drop zone as Brian Laws' side ran out 3-1 winners at the Walkers Stadium. The home side broke the deadlock on nine minutes with Iain Hume keeping his composure to round goalkeeper Lee Grant and slot home. On 27 minutes, Wednesday missed a golden opportunity to draw level as keeper Paul Henderson saved Deon Burton's spot-kick after Barry Hayles had been penalised for handball. However, the visitors made it 1-1 just before the interval as Bartosz Slusarski smashed past Henderson. Laws' team then went ahead as Steve Watson pounced to finish calmly on 53 minutes. There was further drama when Hume struck wide from the penalty spot after Jermaine Johnson handled in the area, before Leon Clarke wrapped up the triumph for Wednesday.

Norwich 3 QPR 0

Norwich assured they will be playing Championship football next season as they defeated QPR 3-0. The visitors suffered a setback after just five minutes when Damion Stewart was sent off for a professional foul. Their misery was compounded as Ched Evans handed Norwich the advantage seconds after Stewart's dismissal with a wonderful volley. Mark Fotheringham doubled Norwich's lead on 56 minutes as his strike caught a deflection to wrong foot keeper Lee Camp, before Darel Russell completed the victory.

Plymouth 3 Blackpool 0

Plymouth claimed their first win in six attempts as they swept aside relegation-threatened Blackpool at Home Park. The home side went ahead after just four minutes as Jermaine Easter struck his sixth of the season, pouncing on a loose ball. Paul Sturrock's men then took a two-goal lead in the 25th minute with Rory Fallon heading home from Luke Summerfield's corner. Fallon made the points safe for Plymouth on 55 minutes as he slotted past goalkeeper Paul Rachubka.

Preston 2 Ipswich 2

Ipswich kept their slim chances of a play-off berth alive, with a 2-2 draw at Preston. The visitors took an 11th minute lead as poor defending allowed Tommy Miller to slot past goalkeeper Andy Lonergan. However, Preston hit back on 34 minutes with Chris Brown placing home from just outside the penalty area. Alan Irvine's men then went ahead with Neil Mellor on target, before Jonathan Walters grabbed a late point for Ipswich.

Sheffield United 2 Bristol City 1

A play-off berth still remains a faint possibility for Sheffield United as they defeated fourth-placed Bristol City 2-1. The Robins broke the deadlock on 25 minutes with Michael McIndoe firing home from the penalty spot after Ugo Ehiogu had felled Dele Adebola in the box. Sheffield United restored parity just nine minutes after the opener as Gary Speed netted his 100th career league goal with a fine header. The Blades' winner came 10 minutes after the break as Speed fired home from the penalty spot after McIndoe was penalised for handball.

Watford 0 Scunthorpe 1

Watford have now managed just one win in their previous 13 games as Scunthorpe claimed a 1-0 success at Vicarage Road. Scunthorpe netted their deserved winner in the 69th minute with Paul Hayes nodding past goalkeeper Richard Lee from six yards.