Kimi - It's the race that counts

Ferrari driver staying focused after claiming pole in Spain

Kimi Raikkonen may have claimed pole position for Sunday's Spanish GP, but the Finn knows that's just the start of the battle.

Having dominated Friday's practice sessions Raikkonen looked out of sorts on Saturday morning, finishing down in 13th place in the weekend's final practice.

The reigning champion, though, fought back to take the P1 slot in Q1 after doing a few extra laps, which he made count by later taking pole position for Sunday's grand prix. It is the 15th time that Raikkonen will start a race from the coveted grid slot.

"It's been a long time since I've last been on pole and we've been trying to get it but always made a mistake or had a problem, so for sure it will give us a better chance tomorrow," the Ferrari driver said.

"I've been more happy with the car than I have been in previous races and it seems to be working pretty well.

"We've just changed the set-up quite a bit and we tried it in the test and it worked. It gave me a good feeling and it worked - it's been a good weekend so far."

However, the Finn knows that while qualifying is important, it's Sunday's race that really counts.

"Qualifying is one part but tomorrow is where we get the points," he said. "Last year we couldn't finish the race. We should have good speed in the race as long as we get a good start.

"We are confident in ourselves. We need a good clean first few corners and then try to maximize our position. This is the best place to do our job."

Raikkonen heads into Sunday's race leading the drivers' championship by three points over BMW's Nick Heidfeld.