Another good day for Kimi

Defending champ nine points clear after cruising to victory

Kimi Raikkonen admits things could hardly have gone any better for Ferrari at the Spanish Grand Prix.

The world champion led from start to finish at Barcelona's Circuit de Catalunya to move nine points clear at the top of the drivers' championship.

Raikkonen led home team-mate Felipe Massa, while McLaren Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton collected the final podium position.

Although saying he made a relatively poor start, Raikkonen said that, such was Ferrari's performance advantage, he held some some speed in reserve.

And, after the high-speed accident suffered by Heikki Kovalainen, Raikkonen also expressed relief that his compatriot had escaped relatively unscathed.

"We didn't get the perfect start but it was good enough to stay in front," the Finn said.

"For sure we could have run a bit faster but no point to push when you don't need to. It was closer than we expected.

"It was a good day and I am happy that Heikki (Kovalainen) seems to be okay after his accident so I cannot ask for anything more.

"The guys did a perfect work. In the second pitstop I had a bit of traffic and had to wait, but it was okay."

Looking ahead

Raikkonen is already looking ahead to the Turkish Grand Prix, which takes place in a fortnight's time.

He added: "I think our car should be quite strong in Turkey and it is a great circuit.

"I am looking forward to going there and do the best we can. We had a great weekend here and we try and repeat it in Turkey, whatever it brings we need points."