Rafa has made Torres great

Striker praises Reds boss

Fernando Torres believes the obsessive nature of Rafael Benitez has helped to turn him into a superstar.

The Spanish striker has been a revelation since his countryman brought him to Liverpool from Atletico Madrid, scoring 30 goals in 42 appearances.

His record is made all the more impressive by the fact that he was never considered to be prolific during his time in his homeland.

However, he has been an instant hit and Anfield and has adjusted to life in England with ease.

He admits that his game has improved since completing his 21million switch last summer, and insists that his manager has been the key factor behind his transformation into a world class goal scorer.

"Rafa Benitez is obsessed with details. He calculates everything, including runs and flights of the ball and he studies it on his com****r," Torres said in the Daily Star.

"And if he tells you to stand five feet from the penalty spot, it's not in your best interests to be six feet from it.

"He'll show you that the extra distance makes the difference between a goal and a missed chance, and it has worked for me.

"The proof for me is I had never scored a club hat-trick in my life before joining Liverpool, but I've since got three.

"Rafa explained everything to me before I signed, how we would play and what our aims were. He even gave me a work schedule in advance.

"He has great powers of seduction, and he makes crazy demands on us."

Torres is currently preparing to face Chelsea in the second leg of their UEFA Champions League semi-final, and with the game delicately poised at 1-1 from the first meeting Torres is expecting a bruising contest at Stamford Bridge.

"I have wanted to play against guys like John Terry and Ricardo Carvalho for a long time," he said.

"Now I'm going to try to respond to them by getting a couple of goals against them.

"Everybody dreams about playing in the Champions League and in the space of a few months I have gone from watching it on TV to having a part in it.

"I just know I have done the right thing to join Liverpool."